Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LOW CARB HORSE FEEDS

I AM CONFUSED. I WAS INFORMED THAT BUCKEYE GRO AND WIN WAS A LOW CARB SUP TO BE FED IN SMALL AMOUNTS IN PLACE OF REGULAR FEEDS IN EPM HORSES, CUSHINGS ETC. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. I ALSO HAVE ONE IN THE BARN THAT COLICS ON OCCASION. SCOPED CLEAN, ADVISED TO FEED LOW CARB??

WHAT DO I USED FOR THESE TWO??????

Where are you from? ELGIN, IL

How did you locate this forum? INTERNET

Re: LOW CARB HORSE FEEDS

Hi Bunny,

Yes, Buckeye Grow ‘N Win is a low starch feed and is good for horses that need immune system support or who are growing. It is meant to be fed in small amounts, as you mentioned. So, you are on the right track.

However, if your other horses are not immune compromised or growing, I would suggest a different low starch feed. There are several available such as Triple Crown Low Starch, Nutrena Safe Choice, Purina Ultium, and Seminole feeds also carries a low starch version.

Another route to go would be to mix your own simple ingredients, such as a diet of beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, along with a good overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement.

I hope this is helpful,

All the best,

Dr. Getty