Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding Alfalfa and Oat Pellets

Hi Dr. Getty-

I was reading thru some of the issues of feeding I see people have posted and thought I would ask your opinion.
I have 3 horses, one is turned out with not much grass but he is an extremely easy keeper so he gets 1 flake alfalfa with oat pellets (he is 15) 2x a day otherwise he becomes very overweight. My other 2(13 & 5, both mares) are in large paddocks and they are ridden 4-5 times a week. I use these 2 for barrel racing. Their feeding schedule is Alfalfa hay, oat pellets mixed with some alfalfa meal to help with a dry joint supplement (Gluquestrian)and Natural Glow as a top dressing 2x a day with access to a salt block. The older mare has had some lameness issues, supposedly Navicular( per UC Davis and my vet) but no one is positive of that. She was on vacation for a long time and great attention has been paid to her shoeing and she has improved tremendously. ( I thought I would never ride her again let alone compete on her) I give her small amounts of Bute when she shows signs of discomfort but it is minimal. Of that I mean her discomort and the amount of Bute given.( This has been cleared by my vet)I am aware of the side affects of long term Bute use so I am trying to keep her comfortable with limiting the health concerns if that is even possible but my horses well being is first and foremost. Otherwise, everyone is very healthy, weight and energy wise. I don't feed any multi vitamin supplements. Should I? Any comments or suggestions?
Thank you very much for your time.

Where are you from? Santa Rosa, CA

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Re: Feeding Alfalfa and Oat Pellets

Hi De,

Since you do not ride the first horse you described, it is not beneficial to give him oats. Instead, give him some good quality grass hay along with that flake of alfalfa, so he has the opportunity to trickle feed throughout the day. This is the best thing for his digestive system. If he is overweight, you may wish to consider giving him a magnesium supplement known as Quiessence. This will help him lose fat deposits.

You’re doing a fine job with your mares. And, yes – I would suggest that you add a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Accel or Grand Complete. Since your older mare does not require large amounts of bute – in other words, her pain is not severe – perhaps you could consider giving her an herbal pain reliever such as Stop the Pain. It is not as strong as bute by any means, but it may be all that she requires.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty-

Thank you so very much. I appreciate and am grateful for you advice as I'm sure all of your emailers are. I noticed in your On-line store the STP and wondered if that might be an alternative. I will definitely give it a try as with the vitamin supplements you suggested.
Thank you again and take care!

Hi De,

Since you give her a minimal amount of bute, it indicates that she likely could benefit from an herbal product. Stop the Pain contains Yucca and Devil’s Claw, both involved anti-inflammatory agents and pain relievers.

I am delighted to be able to help!

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty-

I apologize for asking more questions but I noticed your B-Plex and one of my mares gets really nervous hauling and competing. I never considered B vitamins before but it sure would make sense. I saw the new spray but she is so sensitive that after the first spray, I would never get another one in. Would it be harmful to combine the B-Plex with the STP? I don't really like to "supplement" my horses to death in fear of over doing it. Also, I have heard so many conflicting stories about Herbal supplements that I have avoided them. Can you give me some advice on that? I have started them on the Grand Complete as you suggested.

Kind Regards-

De

Hello De,

There is no harm at all is combining the B-Plex with STP – they have very different mechanisms. The B vitamins work together to keep the body healthy. They protect the nervous system, digestive system, red blood cells, and energy pathways, just to name a few of their functions.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty