Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding ponies barley

Is it better to feed rolled barley or boiled barley?If it you think that boiled barley is better would you boil it for a long time or just put in boiling water and leave to cool?

Where are you from? Ireland

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: feeding ponies barley

Hi Grainne,

Boiled barley is more digestible, and therefore less likely to end up in the hind gut, where it can be fermented, and possibly lead to laminitis. You can likely put it in boiling water and let it cool, as long as that is adequate time for the hulls to break open and some of the starch to cook.

Barley is not as safe as oats, but I know that it is used a lot in the UK. However, if you have access to oats, that would be a better grain choice.

All the best,

Dr. Getty