Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Linseed oil...cause sight problems?

Hi Again!!
I was wonderingif you had heard anything about this before or if you know if this is true or not:
My friend's mum is a vet (small animals) and she says that you should ONLY feed linseed oil to horses/animals when their coat IS dull and for not more than 6-8 weeks, otherwise white thingys (can't remember what word she used) forms on the retina or cornea (she couldn't remember which one). This would then cause problems with their sight...
Any idea if she's right?

Thanks!!

Where are you from? Ireland

How did you locate this forum? from the website

Re: Linseed oil...cause sight problems?

Hi Leila,

Linseed (flaxseed) oil is not just for a dull coat. In fact, if the coat is dull, it indicates that the body is not healthy on the “inside.” The coat and skin are windows to the functioning of the body where it cannot be seen. So, poor skin, coat, hooves – these things indicate that something is wrong or something is deficient.

Linseed oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids which boost the immune response, aid in reducing inflammation, support bone and joint health, improve disposition, and maintain overall health, which manifests itself as a shiny coat, bright eyes, healthy skin, and strong hooves. I am not familiar with any eye condition that is caused by linseed oil. If anything, there are many studies to suggest that linseed oil actually improves sight. Perhaps you can ask the vet to tell you the exact name of the condition and what specific aspect of the oil she is referring to.

All the best,

Dr. Getty