Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Supplements

Hi Dr. Getty,

I am tossed between two supplements and was hoping you could help me determine which was a better product. They are Grand Complete and Missing Link Plus. I know, overall, they are both very good multi vitamins but what is the real difference between the two? The grand complete is quite pricey. Am I getting "more for my money" if I choose to go with that one?

My horse is a very healthy 7 year old paint on moderate work. The only trouble I am having with him right now is his dull coat.

Thanks for your input,
Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing

Re: Supplements

Hi Sue,

Below is a comparison between the two products. They both contain omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids however, Grand Complete is more concentrated in Omega 3s. This is what you are paying extra for with Grand Complete, as well as other nutrients. Omega 3 fatty acids are important for many reasons, including healthy skin, coat, and hooves. It is also very effective in reducing inflammation of arthritic joints.

They also both contain Glucosamine however, the Missing Link contains 75 mg of Glucosamine per gram and Grand Complete contains 83.3 mg of Glucosamine per gram, so Grand Complete is more concentrated.

Grand Complete also contains lysine and methionine (essential amino acids necessary for tissue, hair, and hoof growth), MSM for tissue growth and inflammation, and important antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E and beta carotene, minerals, biotin, as well as yeast, a natural probiotic.

So, in my opinion, Grand Complete is a far better product. This is why I carry it and not Missing Link Plus.

Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity to show you and others the difference.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Missing Link Plus Guaranteed Analysis:
Per 40 g (1/3 cup):

Linoleic Acid (Omega 6) 2000mg (2g) 5%
Linolenic Acid (Omega 3) 5000mg (5g) 12.5%
Glucosamine HCI 3000mg (3g) 7.5%

Grand Complete Guaranteed Analysis:
Per 2 oz Serving (30 grams)
Methionine 3000 mg
Omega 3 3000 mg
Diamond V Yeast 2500 mg