Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeds

Hi i just posted a ? on hooves. I also wanted to know what you think of Blue Seal feeds. My horse is currently eating Blue Seal Pacer. 1.5 scoops twice a day. He is a picky eater so I had to find a feed without pellets so he would eat it. He is a very active horse so he can be tough to keep weight on. Ive tried adding different kinds of oils and beet pulp and he does not touch it. Winter is coming soon and im just wondering if he should be getting something else to keep the weight on. He is out 24/7. He has grass during the day and lots of good quality hay at night along with his alfalfa cubes. Thanks for the help. :-)

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: feeds

Hi Sherry,

My first question would be, “What size is your scoop?” Scoops generally come in three sizes: 1 quart, 2 quarts, and 4 quarts. A 2-quart scoop, for example, holds 64 ounces of volume. That means, that depending on the feed, it likely holds between 4 and 6 pounds. So, if you are feeding 1.5 scoops and your scoop is this size, you are giving your horse a meal that weighs about 6 to 9 lbs – oooh – that’s dangerously high. A horse’s stomach is quite small and cannot safely accommodate such a large meal.

I know this is not what you asked me – you want to know about Blue Seal feeds. But, regardless of the feed, it really is worthwhile to know the weight that you’re feeding. The directions on the bag always base the amount to feed on weight.

Ok, having said that, now I’ll talk about the feed…

The Blue Seal Pacer is made from oats, corn, and barley. Since your fellow is very active, he can likely tolerate these ingredients, within limits. I would suggest that you limit his amount of this feed to no more than 3 lbs per day. Too much grain is not advisable – a horse’s digestive tract is not designed to be fed large amounts of grain.

So, then you have the decision of what to feed instead. Have you tried a sweetened beet pulp? He may like that. And, he may prefer it dry, instead of soaked. You can also give him rice bran nuggets – they’re very palatable. And, alfalfa pellets are yummy.

To add additional fat to his diet, to keep his weight on with his high activity level, I would suggest adding flaxseed meal and rice bran to his diet. Both of these are high in fat. Flaxseed meal also provide omega 3 fatty acids, which are excellent for his overall health, as well as protecting his joints. And rice bran contains gamma oryzanol, which helps boost muscle mass.

You probably got “more than you bargained for” with my response. But, I hope it was helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for replying. Im not sure of the scoop right now. I looked it up in a mag. and it says 8.5" deep by 6". Ive tried the beet pulp in all sorts of ways and he turned his nose up to it. I even tried the Triple Crown feed that had beet pulp. I cant even get him to eat any kind of pellets. He will pick them out of his feed and put them to the side. Picky Eater. Does the rice bran and flaxseed consist of pellets? Do you think im feeding him to much grain. He stands 17hh, and he is not a huge hay eater.

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Sherry,

I can see your problem with his feed preferences! :)

Your scoop sounds like a 2 quart scoop, which provides approximately 5 pounds of feed. So, keep that in mind.

Rice bran and flaxseed meal are not pellets, so perhaps he’ll enjoy them. They are meals – like a coarse flour, but not dusty. You can get the rice bran in a nugget form, so it has more “chew power.” But, see if you can find Natural Glo stabilized rice bran. And, the flaxseed I recommend is a stabilized product, as well, called Nutra Flax.

So, about your grain-based feed – yes, I think you are feeding too much grain and certainly too much at one meal. You are likely feeding close to 16 pounds of feed each day – much more than necessary and what would be considered healthful. Instead, cut way back, continue to let him graze on grass and/or hay all day, add alfalfa cubes and even some alfalfa hay. And finally, replace some of his grain with the flaxseed meal and rice bran.

All the best,

Dr. Getty