Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Hard Keeper who is underweight by a few hundred pounds

Hi i have a 10 yr old quarter horse gelding who is very hard to keep weight on with just light to medium exersize, however he has been riden very hard all summer and is very thin now, what can i feed that will put the wieght back on him. He looks horrible as you can see his backbone and hip bones protuding. Please help!!!!!!!!!

Where are you from? west texas

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Hard Keeper who is underweight by a few hundred pounds

Hi Mary,

The key to weight gain is two-fold. First, you have to feed additional calories. Calories from fat are more concentrated that carbohydrate calories. So, add high fat feeds to the diet such as flaxseed meal and stabilized rice bran.

Second, you have to get the bacterial flora in good shape so your horse can derive energy from the forage he’s eating. The best product I know to do this is Ration Plus.

Make sure he is getting grass hay and/or pasture 24/7. And, be sure to add a legume hay (such as alfalfa) to round out the protein quality.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty