Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
rice bran oil

hi ... i have a PMU mare (Percheron) who gave birth in June to a fine QH/Perch colt ... is rice bran oil safe to give as a supplement? ... and if so, how much? ... my mare (as you are probably aware) is young (3 years) and i want to keep her weight while she is nursing ... thank you, lorraine

Where are you from? new port richey, florida

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: rice bran oil

Hi Lorraine,

Yes, rice bran is excellent. It is high in fat, and low in starch. However, I would suggest that you purchase a product that has added calcium because rice bran is very low in calcium and too high in phosphorus. So, Natural Glo, made by ADM Alliance is a good choice.

In addition to rice bran, I would also add flaxseed meal, to provide omega 3 fatty acids. By adding both of these fat sources, you will also improve the protein quality of her feed, as well as provide a safe way (low starch) to help her maintain weight.

Congratulations on your new colt!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

thank you so much dr. getty ... she is approximately 1300# at 15H ... it sounds big but she is still growing as well as nursing ... how much flaxseed meal do i give her and where is the best place to purchase it? .... lorraine

Where are you from? new port richey, florida

How did you locate this forum? friend

Hi Lorraine,

For a lactating mare that needs to hold weight, I would suggest you start with 8 ounces, twice each day. Take a look at Nutra Flax on my website -- I have many clients using it with wonderful results. The link is www.gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/nutraflax.htm

Nursing mares require more energy and nutrients than any other category of horses - so it is important to supplement their diets.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)