Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
triple crown

Hi. Great website. Ive been looking into Triple Crown Low starch feed. Is this a good feed and how much for a high performance horse would you feed?

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: triple crown

Hi Kevan,

Triple Crown Low Starch is an excellent feed. But, its fat content is not very high. You can add to it, say with flaxseed meal, or even oil But, a better route would be to offer a higher fat feed designed for horses that are exercised extensively. Purina Ultium is a good choice that is both low in starch and meets the energy needs of the performance horse.

In both cases, you would need to feed between 6 to 10 pounds per day, but to do so, you may have to feed 3 meals/day, since each meal should be small (no more than 3.5 pounds) to be on the safe side.

Thank you for writing!

Dr. Getty

hi Thanks for your input. Now with this flax seed and rice bran, does it come in anything besides oil? do they have a powder? My one horse is a little picky about oils in his feed.

Where are you from? PA

Sorry to be a pest, but would the nutrena xtn be similar to Ultium?

Where are you from? PA

Hi Kevan,

Nutrena XTN seems like it is comparable to Ultium, except it does have oats and barley (grains), making it unadvisable for horses with Cushings, metabolic syndrome, or prone to lamintis.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)