Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dull Coat

Hi Dr. Getty,

My 7 year old gelding is doing fantastic thanks to so much of your advice. He is currently getting about 8 hours a day grazing time with 1-2 flakes a day of a good timothy or coastal hay. I'd like to offer more but I can't.)He gets 1/4 scoop of Meadow Herb twice a day just so he doesn't feel left out when the rest of the barn is being fed. I give him small amounts of alfalfa as a treat and his diet is supplemented with Grand Complete. Now..........what can I do for his coat? I was getting ready to start him on the rice bran oil but needed your advice first. His coat seems dull and not as soft as some horses. What do you think?

Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing

Re: Dull Coat

Me Again,

Sorry Dr. Getty. I am sitting here laughing at myself! I am reading back on some of the previous advice you have given. I think I am getting to know you a bit! You are going to tell me that I should be feeding Nutra Flax instead of the Meadow Herb aren't you! I think I see your point. The nutrients he will get are far better and the Nutra Flax coupled with the Grand Complete should take care of his coat issues. Am I anticipating your response correctly?

Sue

Hi Sue!

You guessed it! Nutra Flax, along with Grand Complete, will definitely improve his coat dramatically! Meadow Herb is mostly grain – barley, oats, and corn! Oh my!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,

I Knew it! Thanks again. I will get right on it. Is the Nutra Flax a feed or a supplement? Also can you give me your opinion on Power Horse products please. My farrier is a womderful "all natural - shoeless" farrier from Ocala and I love him. He has suggested I use the trace minerals. What is your opinion. Will this be overkill or will it be beneficial?

Thanks Again,
Sue

Hi Sue!

Flaxseed meal is mainly what's called a "top dressing" because you don't feed a large amount. But, it is not a supplement in the usual sense, where it contains many vitamins and minerals. It's a food, plain and simple, that is rich in quality protein, omega 3 fatty acids, and vitamin E.

Power Horse is a trace mineral supplement and I tend to shy away from these products. Minerals interact in so many ways with each other, that I find that it is very easy to cause more problems by adding too many to the diet. I would much rather treat a "supplement" as just that -- something that fills in the gaps of an already nutritious diet.

If you're looking for something for hooves, you can add Biotone-25 to the Grand Complete.

Thanks for asking!

Dr. Getty :)