Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Unusual urination

Yesterday I rode my 24 year old Appaloosa (gelding)for the first time in about 3 months, as we have had an extremely hot summer. He started out all gung ho but after an hour ride of mostly walking he seemed very tired. His penis hung down a bit and when I unsaddled him he urinated just a small amount. He also urinated a little in the trailer on the way home
and again when put in his pasture.

His appetite is very good. Could he have a urinary infection? Thanks very much for any advice you may have.

Where are you from? Rancho Murieta, Calif.

How did you locate this forum? Yahoo search

Re: Unusual urination

Hi Lori,

The only way to verify the presence of a urinary tract infection is to have your vet test a urine sample (which is difficult to do!). However, another possibility is that he was dehydrated. So, monitor his water intake. If he is drinking a great deal, urinates, and continues to urinate small amounts, like you described, then it could be an infection. This needs to be treated with an antibiotic. If left untreated, it can extend to his kidneys, and be far more serious.

All the best,

Dr. Getty