Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse digging holes in pasture

Hi Dr. Getty,
I'm back; you helped me before with this gelding with his "bumps and allergies". Thank you. Now he is digging holes in his pasture. Only caught him doing it once but have found many holes. They are about two feet across and maybe a foot or less deep. I don't know if he is doing it to eat the dirt for something he is missing in his diet or just for fun. His pasture is about 3 acres with no trees or bushes to chew on. He does not have a pasture mate but has pasture buddies in the next pasture. The holes are not next to the fence so I don't think he is saying let me over there. He is on the supplement Grand Complete. Do you think he is missing something else in his feed? (supposedly we are in a selenium deficient area) Thanks for any help again.

Where are you from? NY

Re: horse digging holes in pasture

Hi Sally,

It's a pleasure to hear from you!

I’m not an equine behaviorist, but I can tell you that he is likely suffering mental discomfort from not having a companion. This behavior sounds very much like a bad habit due to the stress of being alone, even though he can see other horses. Perhaps you could consider getting him a goat, donkey, or miniature horse?

If your soils are low in selenium, you can supplement a vitamin E/selenium mixture. Continue with the Grand Complete, since it is helping him.

One thing I would recommend is B-Plex. This a B Complex supplement that will calm his nervous system.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: horse digging holes in pasture

Thanks Dr. Getty. I'll try the B-Plex; although he is the calmest horse I've ever had. Maybe that is the problem - he keeps it all inside. The horses on the other side of the fence are ours too and I would put them together but they are miniatures and I just don't trust a mini with a horse - one "playful" kick and it could be deadly. They can all see and smell each other through the fence (but not touch) and all have stalls in the same barn and can see each other there too. Maybe it is the aggravation of not being able to "gnaw" on someone that is causing the behavior. I'll see what the B-plex does. Thanks very much again.

Where are you from? NY