Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feeding the breed HYPP N/H mare

I have an HYPP N/H she is months pregnant and only eats oats and Hay sould I give her any suppliments to produce milk or should I let nature take its course?

Re: Feeding the breed HYPP N/H mare

Hi Ms. Bryant,

It is important to provide additional nutrients beyond what oats can offer. She can eat pasture, because of its high water content. I don’t know what part of the country you’re in, but cool weather hays are more concentrated in potassium than warm weather hays such as Bermuda or timothy. She can also eat beet pulp safely, but without molasses added. Small frequent meals are safest.

I would recommend Grand Complete as an excellent supplement for her since it does not contain additional potassium. You want to keep her healthy, so she and her foal will come out of the pregnancy in good shape.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Feeding the breed HYPP N/H mare

I feed my 3 N/H mares (2 are in foal) the same as I do the others. Oats, Progressive 14% Top Dress, alfalfa, mineral, adding soaked beet pulp if needed, and cutting back on something else if needed.

Mine do not show any symptoms, has yours?

Where are you from? Iowa