Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pasture Board versus Full Care

Hello, Dr. Getty: I have run into a stumbling block at my boarding facility. You may remember that I have my new 2 year old filly coming soon, and you helped me figure out how to feed her properly (thank you). As a reminder, she'll be on pasture 24/7, with free choice grass hay, plus a flake of alfalfa per day and a small amount of Safe Choice. She is a very easy keeper.

Here's the problem: on days when it rains, the full care horses have to stay in their stalls all day. This means that the pasture board horses (like mine) do not get brought into the barn to be fed individually on those days. So, on rainy days, the pasture board mares will be fed rolled oats out in the pasture, probably at least one large coffee can each, maybe more (sorry I can't weigh it). This means that my filly will most likely be eating quite a bit of rolled oats (depending upon her place in the herd) on the rare rainy days, even though she doesn't get any on other days. I'm worried about this. I have talked with the barn owner at length about a solution to the problem, and she can't offer me one. Will this put my filly at risk, or will her system be able to handle this change in her diet on the odd rainy day (we don't get lots of rain here). FYI, she will not get alfalfa or Safe Choice on rainy days, so the rolled oats will be all she gets, aside from pasture and grass hay.

The only other choice is to put my filly on full board, where she has to stand in a stall all night, and stand in a stall all day & night when it rains, but she will get her individual feed no matter what. I hate that option. I much prefer that she grow up outside where she can walk and roam the pasture at will. I know that is healthier for her. And I can't stand the thought of her standing in a dirty stall with the smell of ammonia (stalls are cleaned once a day so it does get pretty messy on those rainy days).

What would you do if you were given only these two options and you wanted to remain at this facility?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Pasture Board versus Full Care

Hi Jennifer,

I understand your concern – it is definitely a valid one. It’s not a good idea to abruptly change a horse’s diet and I’m surprised that your barn manager is not aware of this. There are two problems with this approach. One, is the one you mentioned regarding her getting a different diet (oats) only once in a while (true, it rains very little in the summer in Texas, but more in the winter and spring). The other problem is that oats are not good for her to have in such high quantity when she tends to hold weight so easily. Her risk of colic and laminitis is real.

I would not recommend that you stalling her full time, for the reasons you mentioned. So, if changing boarding arrangements is not feasible, it would be very helpful if you could give her Ration Plus, double the normal dose, on those days when she is fed oats. You would likely have to go there yourself and add it to her feed. Is she fed out of a large feed trough, or individual buckets?

In my opinion, this is mismanagement. Consistency is crucial in maintaining your horse’s digestive health. Are you able to go out to the boarding facility on those days when her diet will change? If so, you can have better control over what she’s eating.

Dr. Getty

Re: Pasture Board versus Full Care

Thank you for your help, Dr. Getty. The barn owner is aware of the potential health risk, but she seems to believe that I am not going to be feeding my filly adequately. I will be feeding her the same thing that she's been getting at home, except they were giving her sweet feed and I'll feed Safe Choice. The rest will be the same, and she's healthy and hardy. This is not the first time I've run into this problem. I have fought this battle about not feeding my horse's large amounts of grain before at other barns. I am going against the mainstream on this one.

The other horses get quite a bit of grain daily, so my filly's pasture-mates will be accustomed to the oats. Only my filly will not be. Barn owner has told me that my only other choice is full board (meaning lots of time in a stall). So, I plan to volunteer to feed all of the pasture mares myself on rainy days. That way, I can get my filly out and give her the usual ration, while the others go hog wild on their oats. I am hoping I'll be allowed to do this. If not, then I'll do the double dose of Ration Plus as you suggested.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend