Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
founder

We have a 7 year old thouroghbred gelding that we rescued.He was very thin and rough coated when we got him.We wormed him and put him on pasture an oats.He didn't gain much weight and seemed lethargic.The vet recommended that we worm again so we chose a wormer that got tape worms also.We didn't change his feed as he was finally putting on some weight and his coat was looking better.Well he came up lame on all 4 hooves about a week later.There is heat in the hooves.When we got him the hooves were trimmed very short.I just though it was a bad trim job.We were doing all the wrong things for a previously foundered horse.Free access to pasture and grain.We have put him up and he is getting grass hay only.What should I add to this?(It is a good fescuebermuda hay)

Where are you from? North East Georgia

How did you locate this forum? homesteding forum

Re: founder

Hi Christy,

First, let me commend you on taking this horse into your life and nursing him back to health. You’re likely correct about the reason he foundered. However, it may have also been due to additional problems such as hormonal imbalances, or problems with his bacterial flora. The oats were definitely a problem, and combined with pasture that his system is not used to, made the situation worse.

OK, so at this stage, he’s getting grass hay. That’s fine. But, yes, there is more that you can do. First, add a small amount of alfalfa to his ration – either as hay or pellets. Pellets would probably work better because it would give you something to add supplements to. Alfalfa provides additional amino acids that grass hay does not have enough of, making his overall protein intake higher in quality. This is important in making body tissue repairs.

There are two supplements that I would recommend. The first is Laminex. Once a horse has foundered, he is very likely to have an attack again. It is essential to keep his level of nutrients high, especially those involved in tissue maintenance and repair.

The second supplement is Quiessence. This is a magnesium supplement that is beneficial for horses that have trouble gaining weight and are prone to laminitis.

Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks he is some better today.How much of the alfalfa pellets should he get?I don"t want to over feed again.He weighs about 1100 lbs.

Where are you from? North East Georgia

How did you locate this forum? homesteding forum

Hi Christy,

I would suggest you start out with a small amount – say 2 cups per meal. If he needs more feed to maintain his weight, you can add unsweetened beet pulp.

Dr. Getty

Hello

I just wanted to make a comment.

My friend has a big and I mean big quarter horse with founder. One day when we got down to the barn to go ride, right above his hooves were swolen. My friend gave him bute and within an hour he was fine.

My pony aslo has founder and one thing we do when she has a flare up is let her stand in the lake. This seems to help. You should see the look of relief on her face! I would be careful not to let your horse stand in water to to long becouse of case of thrush. Before doing any of this I would consult dr. Getty or your vet or someone of higher education than me, (i am only 13, though I have had a lot of experience with founder) Just wanted to make a comment.
I hope your horse gets better,
Skye

Where are you from? Tx

How did you locate this forum? Ask Jeeves

Hello Skye,

Bute is often given in the early stages of laminitis to reduce pain, but it cannot be given for any length of time, nor does it cure anything. So, the best way to treat laminitis is to first determine the cause, and then make adjustments to the diet and/or environment to speed up healing and reduce another episode.

Cold water is comforting, but not especially effective.

So, prevention is really the key. Most laminitis occurs when horses are allowed to get overweight, and consume too much sugar and starch. So, a low starch/low sugar diet and exercise are essential.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty