Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The best diet for a clydesdale 16-month old

Help! I'm not sure what is the best diet for a 16-month old clydesdale/tb cross (3/4 clyde). I worry about EPSM in drafts and whether its okay or not to give him alfalfa and how much grain a day should he get and what kind of supplements, if any?

Where are you from? Virginia

How did you locate this forum? Google search engine

Re: The best diet for a clydesdale 16-month old

Hi Heidi,

The safest diet for a draft horse is one that is low in starch, but provides energy from sources such as flaxseed meal, beet pulp, alfalfa, soybean meal, etc. But, grain should be avoided, so do not feed him any oats, pelleted feed made from grain (oats, corn, barley, etc.), or sweet feeds. Instead, you can purchase a complete ration that is low in starch. If he is being exercised regularly, Purina Ultium is a good choice. Otherwise, there are other low starch feeds such as Nutrena’s Safe Choice and Triple Crown Low Starch.

In addition to this feed, he should have access to hay and/or pasture 24/7, along with clean fresh water and a plain salt lick at all times.

Have fun!

Dr. Getty

Re: The best diet for a clydesdale 16-month old

Thank you so much for the information Dr. Getty!

Heidi

Where are you from? Virginia

How did you locate this forum? internet