Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Canola vs Soya meals

Hi, I'm curious as to the pros and cons to feeding either canola or soya meals in regards to their nutritional content. I switched from canola to soya after reading that soya meal has more beneficial amino acids than canola meal. Is one better than the other overall?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Where are you from? WA

How did you locate this forum? Search

Re: Canola vs Soya meals

Hi Fred,

Actually, both canola meal and soybean meal are excellent. Canola meal does have more lysine, an essential amino acid, than soybean meal. So, in that regard, I prefer the canola meal. When feeding soybean meal, make certain that it has been heat processed, since raw soybeans are detrimental to horses.

Canola meal also has more fat than soybean meal, making it a better choice for adding weight and producing a more glowing hair coat.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty