Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bulk

hello dr getty you helped me earlier this year with my hot headed mare you'll be pleased to know she is doing great and now rides at the front of the ride she's a pleasure thanks.Now my worry is bulk feed we have three horses beauty-irish sports 15.3 solo welsh/arab 14.3 and rosie clydes/shire 16.3 all keep weight on pretty good they have 2 feeds per day with some chaff added in winter months unlimited grass in day in at night with a hay net if you could give me some idea how much hay i should be feeding i don't want them to be to fat but i want them to be well nourished for the winter they are ridden 3 to 4 times a week thanks joanne

Where are you from? england

How did you locate this forum? equine search engine

Re: bulk

Hi Joanne,

Thank you so much for the wonderful update! I love hearing good news!

It sounds like you are already doing a wonderful job in feeding them to be healthy. Their weight is good, their getting grass and/or hay at all times, and are well exercised. If they start to gain weight, cut back on the amount you are feeding at each meal. You didn’t mention what they get to eat at each feeding, so perhaps you can alter that. In general, a 500 kg horse would require between 10 to 15 kg of hay each day, depending on the individual horse and the amount of exercise.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: bulk

thanks again for putting my mind at rest joanne and beauty

Where are you from? england

How did you locate this forum? equine search engine