Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Adding Additional Minerals

I have two horses. One is a 6 year old that I use for barrel racing. He is about 1200 lbs. and we compete almost every weekend. The other is a 3 year old, about 1100 lbs, in barrel training. The 6 year old gets between 5-7 lbs./day of Ultium, depending on how hard he gets worked. The 3 year old gets between 2-4 lbs/day of Omolene 200, depending on how hard he gets worked. They are both turned out at night on coastal bermuda pasture and get free choice coastal bermuda hay during the day. I have just started giving them each a half a flake of alfalfa during the day too for the added minerals. I also have ABC's Free Choice Stress System of minerals & salt available in their stalls during the day.

My farrier recently suggested I start adding the Mooreman's Gro-Strong Minerals to their feed. He said he has seen it help a lot of horse's with improved hoof growth and quality. I am concerned that if I start adding this to their already fortified feed that it might be too much for them. So should I add the Gro-Strong Minerals or not? Is it ok to add that to the Ultium and Omolene 200? If so, do I take away the free choice minerals & salt?

Thanks so much for your help!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Re: Adding Additional Minerals

Hi Lisa,

You have a valid reason to be concerned, especially when it comes to minerals. Minerals interact with each other and can cause deficiencies in some and toxicities in others. So, it is best to err on the side of caution. But, here are a couple of things that you can consider:

First, combining the Moorman’s product with the ABC product is overdoing it. You’ll need to choose one or the other. I like the Moorman’s product better than the free choice system. However, since you are feeding a fair amount of Ultium, I would cut the dosage of Moorman’s in half.

The second suggestion I would make is to give Ultium to your 3 year old, instead of Omelene 200. Omelene is a sweet grain feed, which is not necessary. Ultium is a far superior product, made from flaxseed meal, alfalfa, and beet pulp.

I hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Lisa and Dr. Getty,

ADM manufactures a lowstarch feed called GroStrong Ultrafibre. I haven't compared the labels to the Ultium, but it may be useful for you to label compare if your farrier is recommending additional nutrients for your hooves. The Ultrafibre is fortified with Moormans Grostrong minerals. My farrier recently made a comment about how well my mare's feet have improved in the last six months. It was last May that we switched to the Ultrafibre, and maybe that is the key.
I've contacted ADMs nutritional line a couple of times and they too, have recommended being very careful adding minerals.
I am not saying that one feed is better than the other, but you may want to look into it and see if it would better suit your horses needs. Goodluck!

Where are you from? Bovey, MN

How did you locate this forum? Bookmarked

I really don't have a Mooreman's dealer within a reasonable distance. My local Purina dealer just happens to carry the Mooreman's GroStrong Minerals and the NaturalGlo Rice Bran. And he is not interested in special ordering anything for me.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Hi Christine,

I took a look at GroStrong UltraFibre and I like it! Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I often recommend Natural Glo rice bran products by ADM Alliance, so it doesn’t surprise me that they would have a low starch/high fiber feed such as this.

For many, it would have to be special ordered since this brand’s line is not typically found in feed stores.

Thank you!

Dr. Getty