Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Feed Suggestion

One more question...

I have my 3 year old on the Omolene 200 and my 6 year old on Ultium. I really like the Ultium, but am a little concerned about feeding it to my 3 year old because of the high fat content. He is a pretty easy keeper. However, I want to give him something while feeding the other one. I thought about switching him to the Safe Choice but I'm not wild about the main ingrediant being corn! What would you recommend feeding him? Thanks again!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Re: Feed Suggestion

Hi Lisa,

I’m glad you mentioned this, because in my last response to your earlier question, I suggested that you feed Ultium instead of Omelene. But, it is higher in fat – that’s true. So, you can feed less of it to your 3 year old. Or, you can get Safe Choice. The one with corn is called “Safe Choice (WC).” Look for the plain Safe Choice – it has no corn.

Dr. Getty

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I will definately switch my three year old off the Omolene 200.

Didn't realize there were different types of Safe Choice, with corn and without corn. I'll see if my local dealer carries the one without the corn. If not, I may have to put him on the Ultium and just not feed him very much.

Also, what do you think about Purina's Nature's Essentials Born to Win for my three year old? Is this a grain based feed? I was considering this option since it is highly concentrated, pretty low in fat and you only have to feed 2 lbs./day.

Thanks again.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Hi Lisa,

I am not able to find the exact ingredients of Born to Win. If you could email them to me, I would be better able to assess the feed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for sending the specific ingredients. It is not grain-based, so I would say that it is safe to use. It is very high in protein, 32%, and therefore, should be fed as a top dressing to an existing feed.

Thanks again for the info,

Dr. Getty