Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Minerals

Dear Dr. Getty,

What is your opinion on Rush Creek Free Choice Minerals?

Sue (and friends)

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing the web

Re: Minerals

The free choice minerals are actually made and distributed by A-B-C (Advanced Biological Concepts). Rush Creek is the name of just one of their many minerals. I have been feeding their Free Choice Stress System which is six of their minerals. I am also interested in your opinion of these minerals and feeding system. Thanks

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Hi Sue,

I believe ABC's products do not contain salt, so that is beneficial when offering free choice minerals. And the theory is that horses will choose what their bodies need when offered minerals in this manner, supposedly like they do in the wild. But, in the wild, horses eat grasses, leaves, seeds, flowers, tree bark, etc., and not individual mineral preparations. So, I don’t see this feeding method as comparable to living in the wild.

Since I don’t feel confident that a horse will choose to eat the right amount of minerals when offered free choice, I frankly prefer an overall vitamin/mineral supplement that is added to a diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

So what would be your overall vitamin/mineral supplement of choice? I tried the Mooreman's GroStrong but my horses don't like it. I think it is way too salty tasting for them (tasted it myself). Since I am not feeding much grain to my three year old, the salty taste of the GroStrong over powers the feed and he won't eat it. Is there a vitamin/mineral supplement that can be fed with minimal feed that would be a good choice and is still highly palatable?

I also asked this in my other post, but what do you think about Purina's Nature's Essentials Born to Win?

Hi Lisa,

Actually, your horses will do much better with a good overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement. I would recommend Accel. It tastes good – I tried it, too! I try everything I give to my horses! And, it is an excellent comprehensive supplement. You can read about it on my website.

You can use this for a couple of months, and see how their feet are doing. If, at that time, you think you need a hoof supplement, you can always get Master’s Hoof Blend to add to it. But, I really don’t think you’ll need it.

Thanks for asking.

About the Born to Win – send me the ingredients if you can – I’ll look them over and let you know what I think.

Dr. Getty

I will look into getting the Accel. I can feed this along with the Ultium and/or SafeChoice right?

I e-mailed you the Born To Win guaranteed analysis and ingrediants. Let me know what you think of it. It is supposed to be highly concentrated where you don't need additional vitamin/mineral supplements and you feed only feed 1-3 lbs/day.

Thanks so much!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Generally speaking, if you feed a complete ration at the amounts recommended, you do not need to add a vitamin/mineral supplement. So you are correct -- if you are feeding 2 to 3 pounds of Born to Win, you should not add an additional supplement that overlaps the mineral content, and some of the vitamins in this product.

So, if you feed Born to Win, I would not recommend adding Accel. And, you should not add the mineral supplement, as well.

However, having said that -- there are two considerations:
1. If a complete ration is not fed at the amount recommended, your horse may not be getting all the nutrients he needs. And, often times, complete rations recommend feeding amounts that are just too large.
2. Depending on the overall health and activity level of your horse, he may require additional nutrients such as more vitamin E and omega 3 fatty acids, beyond what the complete ration offers.

Do you have the Born to Win website? I would like to see more about this product. It looks very similar to Buckeye's Grow N Win.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sorry, but I do not have a web site for the Purina Born To Win product. I just happen to have a brochure that lists the guaranteed analysis and ingrediants. I used to feed the Buckeye Gro N Win and yes, it seems to be very similar to it.

I have decided to feed my three year old the same that I am feeding my six year old, the Purina Ultium. However, the three year old will probably only be getting about 2 lbs./day since he is not being worked that much. This is considerably less than the 4 lbs./day minimum they recommend to get all of the vitamins/minerals they need. So I will supplement the Ultium with the Accel, adjusting the amount of the Accel as needed depending on how much of the Ultium I am feeding.

Does this sound like a good plan?

One more question...

Is there a good rule of thumb that I can use as to how much Accel to the amount of Ultium? For example: For 2 lbs./day of Ultium, add X oz. of Accel, for 3 lbs./day of Ultium, add X oz. of Accel, etc. At how many lbs./day of the Ultium should I not feed the Accel? (This is for an 1100 lb. horse.)

Your web site is a God send and has been a great help!
Thanks so much!!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

You’re on track with your plan. And, you’re correct – in order to get the amount of additional vitamins and minerals in a complete ration, such as Ultium, you would have to feed the recommended amount. But, this is often way too much, as in your case. So, I would suggest that you supplement with Accel, at three-quarters of the dosage.

Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Hi Lisa,

About the Accel. The dosage is 1 to 2 ounces/day. One ounce/day is a good dosage for a horse who is not growing, performing, ill, or pregnant. So, if you are feeding Ultium, say anywhere between 2 and 4 lbs/day, you can feed 3/4 of an ounce scoop.

It's an estimate, true, but a good one. I could do an exact analysis of each nutrient for you, but that would be more time consuming than I can do within this forum.

All the best,

Dr. Getty