Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
dry flaky skin

hi my 20 year old thoroubred gelding has very dry flaky skin in his mane is there anything i can feed him to fix this? also his coat is a bit dull what can i give him to make him shiny? one more thing is that during winter he looses some of his muscle on his rump is there any thing i can feed him to prevent this from happening? i feed him 4kg of veteran nutri rice and shandy chaff and hay he is not skinny he is actually quite fat all through the year but in winter he looses muscle but not fat. thanks hope you can help

Where are you from? margaret river

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: dry flaky skin

Hi Vanessa,

Yes, there are a couple of things that will help. Are you able to get flaxseed (or linseed) meal? Make certain that it is not defatted.

If not, stabilized rice bran is also high in fat. This will add health and shine to his hair and mane.

To prevent loss of muscle mass, make certain that he is getting either a complete ration that contains vitamins and minerals added, or that you feed a high quality hay, including alfalfa, to provide the protein he needs. I would also recommend adding rice bran oil to his diet. This contains a compound known as gamma oryzanol, which will help him build muscle.

All the best,

Dr. Getty