Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How much manure is normal?

Hi Dr. Getty,
I'm back with another question. My 16.2 hand, 1,100 lb. eight year-old thoroughbred gelding has on average seven manure piles a day in his paddock. Is this normal for a horse his size? He is currently fed 2lbs Farnam's Platform Pleasure, Grand Hoof and about 15-20lbs alfalfa/grass mix hay divided in two feedings each day. He is in very good shape - not to skinny or too fat. He is currently not being ridden but gets some turnout, hand walking and has a large paddock. I wonder if his digestive track is not utilizing his feed fully and thus the reason for so many manure piles?

P.S. I'm working on getting him a horse buddy.

Thanks again.

Where are you from? Casper, WY

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: How much manure is normal?

Hi Lori,

Don't worry about the quantity of manure, as much as the quality. In other words, if his manure is solid and formed, and does not contain any of his feed, then he is digesting his feed properly. It is very normal for a horse to produce manure once every 2 to 3 hours. So, he sounds on track!

Wait 'till you get a buddy! You may want to enlist the help of a human buddy -- so get another manure shovel!

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)