Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
i am trying to find the ingredents for the cobb diet for horses

i just got this hoses that was on the cobb diet and he is just is so heathy looking i am trying to keep him on that diet and to put my others on it to

Where are you from? floridia

How did you locate this forum? just looking up horse nutrition

Re: i am trying to find the ingredents for the cobb diet for horses

Hi Linda,

You'll have to be more specific. I am not familiar with a "cobb diet." If you have some information, please send it to me.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

well i think it has oats , barly, corn, and you mix and then add one shcoop of beat pulp , you mix all that to gether and it takes the place of grane its all naterl thank you linda

Hi Linda,

Ah yes! A COB diet! Corn, Oats and Barley! Got it now.

Ok -- now that we're on the same page -- my advice? Stay away from it! Corn is the most poorly digested of all the grains, and I do not like feeding it. Barley is second. Oats are ok in small quantities. But, giving a horse a diet that is made from these three grains is going completely opposite from how a horse's digestive system is designed to function.

Horse's need forage -- lots of it. Hay, pasture, high forages feeds such as hulls, distilled grains, beet pulp, hay pellets, etc.

Thanks for writing.

Dr. Getty

i am starting to feed beat pulp how lnog dos it need to sit in the water before feeding and should i feed it every day a long with grain? i also have this horse that i am trying to put wait on in the beet pulp good for that she is 12yr old and she has a cliking in her hind qurters do you think that a acurepunceris would help that she is a barrel horse can i use some suppluments to get rid of the noise thank you linda

Hi Linda,

Beet pulp does not need to be soaked. It can be fed dry and most horses prefer it dry. However, if you prefer to soak it, let it soak no more and 1 hour -- any longer than that can result in too much bacterial growth.

Beet pulp will help with weight gain, but you should also feed a fat source such as flaxseed meal (Nutra Flax) or stabilized rice bran.

I would suggest you contact your veterinarian about the clicking noise to get an accurate diagnosis of what may be causing it. However, omega 3 fatty acids from the flaxseed meal will be helpful in reducing any joint inflammation. Another excellent supplement for joint issues, if that's what it turns out to be, would be Actiflex.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

beet pulp and about flaxseed meal.

would my feed store have the flaxseed meal and how much should i feed and how afton..... beet pulp how much should i feed and should i feed it every day one or two times a day? thank you you have help me out vary much thank you for your time linda oh what can i do to keep thare coats shiney?

Hi Linda,

Your feed store will not likely carry flaxseed meal. Take a look at NutraFlax on my store's website. You can click on "Dr. Getty's Free Shipping Store" link on my homepage (www.gettyequinenutrition.com). Flaxseed meal will also make their coats shiny since it is high in fat.

How much? That depends on several factors -- exercise, weight, other components of the diet. A safe amount is to add one 2 ounce scoop of flaxseed meal/day, but most horses do well with considerably more. Beet pulp is very light, but you don't want the entire meal to exceed 3 to 4 lbs (weigh your feed for accuracy). The only way I can truly give you an accurate amount to feed would be to set up a phone consultation. I just don't have enough information to give you the advice you need.

So, let me know how I can best assist you.

Dr. Getty