Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
older horse with diarrhea

hi im wondering if anyone can help me...ive got a mare whos 26 yrs old and looking quite good for her age!! but the problem is she has chronic diarrhea! she gets it every year and i thought it was just the rich grass affecting her..but it does not seem to be clearing up this year! i have tried to keep her of the grass and feed her enough hay..but im wondering if u no of any other feeds what are rich in fibre please reply as soon as possible because im really worried about her!

Where are you from? england lincolnshire

How did you locate this forum? searching the web

Re: older horse with diarrhea

Hi Stacey,

Hay is the best thing for her as long as it is clean and contains no mold. However, you should also give her a probiotic to boost her bacterial flora count.

Diarrhea can be caused by so many conditions. Is she properly wormed? Is it possible that she has an ulcer from being stalled for many hours without feed? Are you soils selenium deficient? I would also rule out any medical condition.

If you are feeding a sweet feed, I suggest you stop that since the sugar can make the situation worse. Give her good quality hay, and plenty of fresh water. Feed her a small amount of complete ration that is high in forage, such as Allen and Page Sugar and Cereal Intolerance Diet. Add some salt to her feed along with probiotics, and give her a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

hi yes she is properly wormed. .and she always has sum acsess to grass because she lives in a field and does not like bein stabled so its not like she has been starved for a while..i have removed her from most of the grass onto a smaller shorter paddock and she is having fairly good amounts of hay with fresh water..if it does not start clearing up in the next few days..im going to give the vet a stall sample for some tests..but fingers crossed they hay she bung her up a bit!

Where are you from? england lincolnshire

How did you locate this forum? searching the web

Hi Stacey,

Yes, a fecal sample is a good idea. Ask your vet about using a probiotic. This will very likely help.

Dr. Getty