Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding to prevent ocd

what kind of a feed program would you recomend for
preventing ocd problems . We raise about 10 - 15
foals a year. The mares are fed as a group in feed tubs and large hay racks. Same with the weanlings.

Where are you from? Alabama

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: feeding to prevent ocd

Hello Vicki,

OCD (osteochondritis dissecans) is a type of developmental orthopedic disease. The best way to prevent this disorder in foals and yearlings is to avoid feeding grain. Avoid feeding feeds with a high glycemic index (meaning they produce a surge of blood sugar) such as oats, grain-based pelleted feeds, or sweet feeds. This has been shown to be the main cause of OCD.

While pregnant, a mare's diet should be carefully monitored, especially during her last three months of pregnancy, for mineral balances, quality protein intake, fatty acids, and carbohydrates.

Thanks for writing about this important topic.

Dr. Getty

Hi
If not feeding grain (yearling) what is best to feed?
He is a little on the ribby side (we've had him 3 weeks) so we do want to maintain some weight.

Where are you from? Edmonton

How did you locate this forum? Web

great question, I have young ones too and feed them pellet grain. I was wondering about hay streatcher pellets instead of grain and if that would be enough for them?

Hi CR and Sass,

Grass, hay, and even pelleted hays are fine and should make up the majority of the diet. However, to build weight for your yearling, more is required. I would suggest feeding him beet pulp. This is more concentrated in calories than hay and is safe to feed. It does not need to be soaked before feeding; just make sure there is ample clean water near by.

I would also add alfalfa hay or pellets to his diet. He needs the extra calcium and protein. This will also help him gain weight.

And, finally, add a good mulitple vitamin/mineral supplement. I recommend Accel.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I have been feeding blue seal trotter which is 14% protein and hay stretcher. You think I should just feed the hay stretcher pellets without any grain? I have many horses and try to keep things a simple as possible.
I have the trotter, hay stretcher and Vintage Senior for horses over 18 and my 7 year old mare that went on a trotter strike. I also give them hay stretcher. My drafts are only getting hay stretcher and no grain.
By young horses I have 2yearold and 3year old.
I have never know exactly what to feed the young ones so I just went with an all around feed. Maybe the 14% is too high for them?

Hi Sass,

14% protein is fine -- that's not the concern. The concern lies in the amount of carbohydrate you're feeding. All of your horses, not just the young ones, would do better with a low-starch diet. But, this is especially important for young, growing horses. So, instead of the complete ration you're feeding, how about going with a low starch version such as Nutrena Safe Choice or Triple Crown Low Starch? That way you can offer it to all your horses and keep things simple.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

well the real problem here is that there is a 4.00 price difference in the feed and I have 20 horses to feed. I would like to do something like that but unfortunately cant afford to. 10 bags of that will cost 125.40 and 10 bags of trotter is 84.59. that is quite a difference where a business is concerned. i wish it was a little less expensive.

Hi Sass,

Yes, the TC is more expensive. Well, rather than risking your horses' health (which can be way more expensive to treat), I would suggest that you consider feeding separate ingredients, such as beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, along with a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement. That would likely be less expensive than feeding a complete ration.

All the best,

Dr. Getty