Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mineral supplements

Hi, Dr. Getty: I appreciate so much being able to come here and ask for your advice!

My two year old filly has finally arrived. She is gorgeous, but she needs to lose some weight. She's on pasture 24/7, supplemented with grass hay. I've yet to see her run out of hay, so I know she's always got something to nibble on. She gets 1/2 cup of Safe Choice AM & 1/2 cup PM. At this point, she's not getting alfalfa because she's overweight and I know how unhealthy that is for a young horse. So I'm wondering if I need to supplement her with an additional mineral product. I don't feel confident that the 1 cup of Safe Choice will provide her with everything that she needs. What do you think?

Also, I put a mineral block in the pasture. What do you think is best: mineral block, salt block, or both?

Thank you,
Jennifer

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Mineral supplements

Hi Jennifer,

Congratulations!!!

I would suggest that you continue with the Safe Choice or instead, offer her some beet pulp -- unsweetened, mixed with a small amount of alfalfa pellets. Alfalfa, in small quantities will be nutritious for her. She is still growing and requires a high quality protein, which alfalfa plus grass will provide.

To this, add a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement (not individual minerals) such as Accel. Accel will also add the essential amino acid called Lysine to her diet, which is very important for a growing filly.

About the salt block -- go with a plain, white salt block. You don't want to overdo it with the minerals.

Keep me posted on how she's doing! This balanced diet, along with plenty of exercise -- and she'll be fine!

Dr. Getty

Re: Mineral supplements

Thank you, Dr. Getty. :~)

~Jennifer

Where are you from? Boerne, TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend