Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Excessive water drinking and urinating

I have a 5 year old TWH/SSH Mare. We have had her for two years. She drank excessivly when we first got her and I had her tested for Diabetes. It was negative. Her weight is perfect, coat looks great, hoofs fine had her teeth done and no problems etc. She is somewhat of an esy keeper, does not require much grain about 2lbs to 3 per day. Is out on pasture 8 -16 hrs average and latly 24/7 because we can't dry out her stall. It seemed the drinking lessend for a couple months (still was a very wet mare) but now it is worse then it ever was. She will put her nose in a 5 gallon bucket and suck it all down in one setting. an hour later she will drink another one. Daily she consumes 15/25 gallons or MORE easily per day. We put her in her stall last night for 7 hours and she had consumed 10 gals. by morning and her stall was a swamp. As soon as we filled buckets she sucked them down???!!!! I have tried no minerals, seemed to get worse and have just started giving them to her again. I do not give her a salt block she eats it like rock candy. (I don't really believe in salt blocks anyway) Any suggestions on test, nutrition, ideas??? Please help anyone that has ever run into this? Where we board the owner has had horses her whole life and has a 4yr degree in Equine science, she is at a loss and has never seen a horse this bad...

Thank you if you can help!!!

PS Urine does not have any odor
Brenda

Where are you from? St, Petersburg, Fl

How did you locate this forum? Web

Re: Excessive water drinking and urinating

Hi Brenda,

What she likely has is hyperglycemia -- high blood glucose (sugar) levels due to insulin resistance.

Horses do not get diabetes, but they do develop a condition that is very similar, known as Metabolic syndrome. What did your vet test for? Was it Cushings Syndrome? If so, the test would come back negative.

It is very easy to treat this problem -- simply stop feeding her grain -- that means no oats, no pelleted feeds that are grain based, and no sweet feeds. Do not offer her any treats such as carrots or apples, since they are high in sugar.

Instead, feed her a diet that is low in starch, moderate in protein and fat. In addition to grass hay and/or pasture, 24/7, you can offer her some alfalfa pellets along with some unsweetened beet pulp.

I would also give her Quiessence -- a magnesium supplement. Take a look at it on my website's store to read more about it. This is very effective in treating insulin resistance.

Thank you for writing about this important issue.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

You should consider the possibility that your mare has ulcers.
Ulcers can create some bizarre dietary behavior. Try her on GastroGuard for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. If this is effective she will need to stay on GG for a few weeks then move to Neigh Lox for at least 6 months.
This worked wonders for my mare with excessive water intake and salt block consumption [as well as dirt eating.
Good luck!

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? friend

Dr. Getty is there a test that can be done to determine if this is the cause? I think I am going to do a phone consultation with you, but should I have a full blood work up down first so we can see if there is any other levels that are off? Would you continue with free choice minerals or adding them to her feed?

Thank You so much for your help and I look forward to consulting with you once I get all info together...

Brenda

PS Is there a test for Ulcers?

Where are you from? Florida

Hi Brenda,

A blood workup before we visit would be best, if you can arrange that. Talk to your vet about testing for insulin levels.

I would suggest that you continue with the free choice minerals for now, until we examine the entire diet. However, excessive intake of minerals can also cause thirst, so pay attention to how much of these minerals are consumed. I really prefer a comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement than free choice minerals.

About ulcers -- the only way to confirm the existence of one is through an endoscopy, which is not always necessary if there are other signs of an ulcer. Excessive water drinking without other symptoms is not indicative of an ulcer, since ulcers do not cause changes in blood concentration.

I'll look forward to our visit. Just let me know when you'd like to set up an appointment.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank You Dr. Getty for your help....
As soon as I can get an appointment scheduled and know when I will get the results back, I will contact you for an appointment. Looking very forward to it!!

Brenda

Where are you from? Florida