Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
over wieght and very jumpy

Hi i hope you can help me i have a welsh section d mane that used to be a brood mare before i got her in 2000, i have tryed for her to lose wieght to no joy and when i ride her out she is jumpy and as reared a few times so i don't ride her as often as i should :( at the mormant i feed her a handfull of mollichop, handfull of allen & page carm & condition, garlic,carrots,mint and a drop of corn oil, hay at lib ( all day & night), at this time she wieghs 498kg and she is only 14.2hh hope you can help me she as started to scare me i am not as young as i once was

Where are you from? uk

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: over wieght and very jumpy

Hi Dr.Getty
i hope you cam help me find a feed to feed my pony as my daughter rides her too but i walk with them, when we don't ride i lunge 4/5 times a week just worried about the rearing and jumping at things she also suffers from sweet itch so that does not help things to :( i really hope you can help me

Where are you from? uk

Hi Tracey,

Allen and Page makes a feed called Sugar Intolerance diet. I would suggest this diet for several reasons. First of all, the sugar may be interfering with her moods -- many horses respond to ups and downs of blood sugar levels with mood swings.

Also, she sounds a tad overweight, so feeding her less sugar will lessen her tendency to store fat.

If you can find a B-complex vitamin preparation, that would also be very helpful in calming the nervous system, in addition to the change in diet.

There is also a product called Modipher EQ Mist that is very effective in training situations like yours. Please take a look at it on my homepage. Shipping it the UK should not be overly expensive since it a small package. I know it will be helpful.

And lastly, I would recommend consulting with a qualified trainer. This mare is not used to being ridden and for your safety, and hers, it would be helpful to have some professional assistance.

Please keep me posted if I can assist further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr Getty
thank you for your reply, forgot to add the only time she as reared is when a big lorry or double decker bus goes by, other time she is spot on just jumpy i am a experience rider and i broke her in my self and know her very well in side and out so i know when to ride her and when not to with what mood she in, my other pony is a mare also and she is brill, same breed to... shouldi stop the mollichop and corn oil and just feed her the sugar intolerance feed on its own she only get one meal aday and how much would the item's you said would cost in uk pounds with post & pack thank you again for helping me in this matter
thank you
Tracey

Where are you from? uk

Hi Tracey,

Most mollichop is sweetened with molasses, so I would suggest that you discontinue using it and just feed the Sugar Intolerance diet.

Excellent! Thanks for sharing your background -- you obviously have a good handle on her training.

I will write to you directly about the Modipher EQ and what it would entail to mail it to you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty
Thank you for your email i have not got back you up to now as was trying to find family with a credit card, to no joy as i don't have one or a bank account :( as my hubby and i went bankrupt lost everything but put up a fight for my horses thou, I tryed to get the Allen and Page Sugar and cereal Intolerance diet but they got the new one called ride and relax i had to pay up front for the feed so as to order it in and they got me this one i think its the same as the one you said no added sugers and stuff please let me know what you think thank you again for your help Tracey

Where are you from? uk

Hi Tracey,

The Ride and Relax looks fine, as well. I wish you the best of luck -- I'm sorry to hear you're having a difficult time.

Dr. Getty