Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Mini Stallion

Hi,
I have a 2 1/2 year old mini stallion. He has performance bloodlines and is getting ready to begin performance training (driving, jumping, etc.). He is 33" tall, 230 lbs, muscular and very well conformed. He is being fed Purina Race Ready with added shredded beet pulp and alfalfa. His weight is regularly monitored and his exercise program is moderate at this time. He is healthy and generally active but seems to lack the "flash/pizazz" that I believe he should at his age. He sometimes appears lethargic. I have been told that the high molasses content in the PRR may be causing a sugar high and subsequent crash. What would you recommend.

Where are you from? Cypress, Texas

How did you locate this forum? accident

Re: Mini Stallion

Hi Al,

Yes, sugar can affect some horses in a negative way, causing a short surge in energy, followed by a low. I would suggest that you consider feeding Purina Ultium instead. It is very low in starch and has a very small amount of sugar.

In addition, you may wish to consider supplementing gamma oryzanol, found in rice bran. There is product called Body Builder that is highly effective in giving performance horses the extra edge they need in building muscle and providing additional energy. You can read more about it on my website.

Please keep me posted on how he's doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Mini Stallion

Thanks,

The Purina folks recommended Ultium also. I have already started switching him. Also I am changing the forage to half alfalfa and half coastal.

My concern was that he just didn't "sparkle" in the show ring; just kind of stood there. Hopefully this and the new performance work will stimulate him.

Where are you from? Cypress, Texas

How did you locate this forum? ACCIDENT