Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
soybean/linseed meal

I have two question.

I was wondering if soybean meal and linseed meal was safe to feed to an hypp horse. He eats oats, and I was thinking of adding it to his grain?

My other question is, I have another horse who has coffin bone issues, which makes him sore, 3 vets and thousands of dollars later, and thats all they can tell me, would oats, linseed meal and soybean meal be a good feed for him?

Thank You
Sharon

Where are you from? connecticut

Re: soybean/linseed meal

Hi Sharon,

Soybean meal is quite high in potassium so I would avoid it for an HYPP horse. Also, soybean meal is high in linoleic acid, an omega 6 fatty acid, which can promote inflammation. So, I also would not recommend it for your horse with a soreness.

Flaxseed meal, on the other hand, is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation. So, this would be a good choice for your horse who is in pain. I would also recommend MSM for this horse.

Flaxseed meal for your HYPP horse is likely fine in small amounts -- not more than 1 ounce per day. Flaxseed's potassium level is higher than oats, so offer a very small amount to see how he tolerates it.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Is oats high in protein?, What would you suggest to feed for a horse with coffin bone issues?

Hi Sharon,

Oats are not high in protein, but protein is not an issue with coffin bone problems. What you're after is a high quality protein, so feeding grass hay along with alfalfa is best, for a high quality protein.

Of course, alfalfa is not advised for your HYPP horse.

MSM is an anti-inflammatory agent that would be helpful for his pain. You might also consider giving him an herbal pain reliever called Stop the Pain.

Dr. Getty

Thank You for your advice it's much appreciated.

I have one more question, where do you find stop the pain?

Hi Sharon,

You can find it on my website's free shipping store. The link to the store is on my homepage: www.gettyequinenutrition.com

Take a look at it and let me know if you have any questions about it. I only offer a limited number of products in my store because these are products that I find to be worthwhile and recommend.

All the best,

Dr. Getty