Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Flax Seed Meal

Hi Dr. Getty,

I am getting ready to purchase Nutra Flax to add to my horses diet. I was wondering what the difference would be if I fed him regular flax seeds. Is the nutritional content any different. I have the space to store a large quantity and the food processor to grind them so I thought that way might be more cost efficient however I want him to get the full benefit. Would the amount to feed be the same? Also could you tell me why the seeds need to be grind?

Thank you for your help.

Sue

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? Surfing the web

Re: Flax Seed Meal

Hi Sue,

Certainly you could grind you own flaxseeds, however, you could not store more than a few cups at a time, and they would need to be refrigerated. Flaxseeds are very high in omega 3 fatty acids, which are highly vulnerable to going rancid.

I have clients who grind their own flaxseeds just prior to each feeding. But, storage is really not an option.

Flaxseeds need to be ground because the outer shell is tough and will not be broken open inside the horse's digestive tract. The inside of the seed is where all the "goodies" are.

NutraFlax is a stabilized product and can be stored for up to 6 months without rancidity problems. It contains extra vitamin E, which is an added benefit because horses typically do not get enough vitamin E in their diets.

Thanks for asking. I hope this info is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you for your response. Does the whole seed need to be refridgerated as well or only after it is ground?

Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes, it is best to refrigerate flaxseeds as well, unless you are going to use them within a couple of weeks.

Dr. Getty

Dear Dr. Getty,
I have decided to go ahead and grind my own flax seeds just until I can puchase the Nutra Flax and because the seeds are available to me at my barn. I will probably purchase the NF in a couple of weeks. In the mean time how much do I give my horse safely. I have the 2oz scoop from my grand complete to use as a measuring tool. Does flax cause gas or possible colic if fed too much too fast?
Thanks.
Sue

Dear Dr. Getty,

Sorry, I have one more question. You always reccommend beet pulp and alfalfa cubes. Would it be ok to feed both? Not together but maybe one in the a.m. and the other in the p.m.?

Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes, flaxseed meal can sometimes cause gas production if given at too high an amount, too soon. I would suggest 1 ounce to start and build up to 4 ounces per day.

Beet pulp and alfalfa cubes can be fed together -- there is no need to feed them separately as two meals. Though beet pulp does not require soaking, alfalfa cubes should be soaked. Feeding alfalfa cubes dry can cause choke in many horses. So, I suggest you soak them for 30 minutes until softened, and make certain your feed bucket is no more than 3 feet from from the ground (which is important, no matter what you feed).

Thanks for the great questions!

Dr. Getty

No more than three feet from the ground? Why is that? I feed from a ground feeder. Is that ok?

Sue

Hi Sue,

A ground feeder is excellent! Horses do best when they can lower their heads to feed. If they are fed at a high level, their risk of choking and even an infection within the guttaral pouch is increased.

Dr. Getty

Hey everyone,
Dr Getty, how much flaxseed is to much? What is the maximum amount a horse can consume daily safely? Just wondering, thanks.
-Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I generally like to limit flaxseed meal to no more than 1 lb each day. And, when starting to feed it, build up slowly. Some horses will get extra gas production from it, but that will eventually stop.

Dr. Getty