Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
older horse

Would you recomend a vitamin/mineral supplement for a 22 year old mare, who just doesn't look up to par?
She eats 3 quarts of purina senior and 1 quart of XTN twice a day and as much hay as she'll eat.

A little history on her is, my mother-in-law gave her to my daughter, which you couldn't ask for a better babysitter, but she's been a brood mare for the last seven years, and I'm having a hard time putting weight on her.

Where are you from? connecticut

Re: older horse

Hi Sharon,

There are many causes of being underweight, so I am reluctant to give you a "quick fix" without more knowledge about her history, what she is currently eating, her teeth situation, or worming situation, her activity level, and much more. If you are agreeable, I would like to set up a phone visit to help you determine the best diet.

For instance, I do not recommend feeding so much high starch feed to an older mare. It is not helping her gain weight, and could lead to hormonal imbalances, as well as colic or even laminitis. So, I would go over some more reasonable options.

To answer your question about a supplement -- definitely a supplement is important, but you are already giving her large amounts -- nearly 10 pounds -- of complete ration, so she is already getting many additional vitamins and minerals.

Most of her diet should come from forage and to help her gain weight, it would be best to reduce the starch and sugar, and add a fat source instead.

So, let me know if I can assist you further. I would really like to be able to help you get on track with her feeding plan, so she can have many more healthy years ahead of her.

All the best,

Dr. Getty