Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
-Lots of questions regarding putting weight on and changing diet

I am currently feeding to my TB's in the am and pm- 1 qt. of 14% performance grain (pelleted), (I was feeding a 14% sweet grain), plus 1/2 qt. alfalfa pellets, and 1 qt. of beet pulp. I have 2-9 year old TBs that I am trying to put weight back on. I had them in good shape but they lost weight when a friend offered to care for them while I was in the process of a move and having a baby. They have access to all the hay they want-it is a grass/timothy hay that is why I added the alfalfa pellets- how much more can I add?It was recently suggested to me to weigh my feed- feeding no more than 3 1/2 lbs per feeding, add flax seed and a vitamin/mineral supplement. Which I will add flax seed (I will grind it myself) how much should I add, how often should I feed it? How is the best and SAFEST way to put weight on? I eventually would like to phase out the "grain" and continue with just the alfalfa pellets, flax seed, beet pulp, and vit/min. I am also feeding the beet pulp dry-I have fed it wet- my horses seem to prefer it dry-is it safe and how much should I give them a day? Where I moved I have to feed hay year round and want my horses to get what they may be lacking from not having the pasture I also have a third horse arab/appalousa that is a very easy keeper only getting 1/2 qt. 10% sweet grain am and pm feeding. I don't want him to get too much fat but would like to change his diet so he is being properly nutritioned. What could I start him on using the alfalfa pellets, beet pulp, flax seed and vitamins?
Oh yeah, I have also in the past used corn oil 1 cup per day? I would like to get away from that if I can?

Thank You so much for your time and assitance.

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Becky (that posted 10/17/05-feeding balanced diet)

Re: -Lots of questions regarding putting weight on and changing diet

Hi Leslie,

You're on the right track and weighing your feed is the best route to take. A quart scoop of the average feed weighs approximately 2.5 to 3 lbs. Beet pulp is much lighter, but alfalfa pellets are heavier.

You do not need to soak beet pulp. It is perfectly safe dry. But, sometimes horses prefer it soaked, or it is a good way to get more water into them.

As far as exact amounts are concerned, I really can only give you an estimate. To give you a specific diet plan would take more research into your specific horses and their situations, which is beyond the scope of this forum. I would be delighted to visit with you personally if you would like to set up an appointment.

In the meantime, you can make a very nutritious meal with alfalfa pellets, beet pulp and flaxseed meal. Be sure to refrigerate your flaxseed meal and don't grind more than a couple of cups at a time. If you need to have more ground at a time, you'd be better off buying a stabilized product such as Nutra Flax.

Corn oil is really not necessary -- the only time I recommend it is when treating an ulcer or to prevent ulcer formation from necessary bute administration.

A better fat choice is flaxseed meal and/or stabilize rice bran (with added calcium), such as Natural Glo rice bran.

And, to this diet, you'll want to add a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty Thank you so much for your reply. I am currently looking for a scale to weigh my feed (went to our local farm supply store and they do not carry such a thing! Any suggestions on where I can get a scale? Also I have added another feeding a day for my horses. I pick up the flax seed today and have already purchased my grinder (and there is room in the fridge). I thought about starting my horses on 1/2 cup ground flax seed twice a day, will that be enough to help put on weight, or would it be too much? I am guess-timating that they are currently getting 4 lbs per feeding-this includes 14% grain, alfalfa pellets, and beet pulp for My TB's and then 10% grain, alfalfa pellets, and beet pulp for my A/A, plus all the grass hay they want, and I added the vitamin/mineral supplement-sho-glo by manna pro twice a day. I will be phasing out the grain and just feeding the alfalfa pellets if that is appropriate? Thank you so much and sorry for the long post.
Leslie

Where are you from? NY

How did you locate this forum? Becky (that posted 10/17/05-feeding balanced diet)

Hi Leslie,

You can feed a full cup of flaxseed meal each day to start -- just build up to it slowly. Be sure to refrigerate your seeds, as well as the meal. They go rancid very easily and that can make your horse ill.

About a scale -- check with some of the online vet supply websites. Or even a postal scale will work. I use a scale scoop that I purchased through valley vet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I bought a food scale at Wal-Mart to weigh my horse's feed. It's just a regular human food scale that comes with a bowl and everything! It measures pounds and kilograms, I bought a small one that measures up to 6 lbs for feed/grain and a larger one that measures up to 11 lbs for hay. I just put a piece of rectangle stiff cardboard over the bowl to put the hay flakes on so they don't fall off. It works great! Hope this helps, Leslie.
Happy Trails,
Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

How did you locate this forum? Web search