Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Older horses

Hi Dr Getty, we have recently aquired 3 horses that are 20 something years of age. When we got them they were in very poor condition, we did manage to get them to put weight on, feeding sheded hay twice daily, and allowing them to graze all day, however during the winter months they seem to have lost weight and are in poor condition. One of the old guys has his 2 front teeth missing. They are wormed around every 5 weeks, I have purchased salt licks for them, and also extra vitamin and mineral powder that is added to their feeds once daily. Starting tommorow I will be feeding three times daily, and adding some rice pellets as well. Are we doing the right thing? They are ridden very lightly at the most twice weekly by our children.

Where are you from? Queensland Australia

How did you locate this forum? Google

Re: Older horses

Hi Rachel,

You've made an excellent start. They will, however, require more than grass hay to gain weight. So, in addition to grass hay, offer them lucerne (alfalfa).

The rice pellets sound good. Most rice pellets are very high in phosphorus and low in calcium, unless they are fortified with extra calcium. So, the addition of lucerne will help balance the rice pellets, since lucerne is high in calcium.

I would also suggest a fat source such as a high fat top dressing that you can add to their rice pellets.

Keep up the fine work! And, please let me know how they're doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi
Only 5 days on and we can see a big difference in the condition of our horses. In addition to adding rice pellets we have also added equilibriam, 3 other types of pellet feeds and molases for a treat. Our horses have gained weight already and their coats are slowly starting to look glossier. Can't wait to see the difference in a months time.

Thanks again
Rachel

Where are you from? Queensland

How did you locate this forum? Internet search engine

Hi Rachel,

Super! Just let me caution you about giving too much sugar. If they were to gain too much fat, they may become insulin resistant. So, try to help them gain weight more from fat than starch and sugar.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty