Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
analysis

Dear Dr. Getty,

I have had the grass hay I'm feeding analyzed. The crude protein (I assume that is digestable protein) is 12.6% and the calcium is .38%/phosphorus is .29%. I am wondering if the cal/phos will be enough for growing and in training three and four year old? They are getting two pounds of Safe Choice and weigh 1000 lbs. Should I be feeding alfalfa too?

Thank you!

Where are you from? Idaho

How did you locate this forum? freind

Re: analysis

Hi Kasey,

Crude protein is merely a measure of nitrogen content and really tells you nothing about the quality of the protein. But, that's to be expected -- hay does not contain enough essential amino acids to be a high quality protein. Adding alfalfa will boost the protein quality as well as provide additional calcium.

So, by adding Safe Choice to the mix, that is helping. For a growing horse, however, doing moderate work, he needs approximately 40 grams of Lysine.

So, take a look at the lysine content in the Safe Choice. You may want to consider adding pure lysine to their diets. If you need help calculating all the numbers, I'll be happy to set up a phone visit with you and crunch some specific numbers with you.

All the best,

Dr. Getty