Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2 yr old gelding that almost foundered and now has bad hooves

Hello,

I have a 2 yr old gelding that almost foundered, he was at the horse trainers when it happened, so were not sure what happened, he was on grass hay there, but they were riding him, so were thinking road founder?

That was in August 2005, and he's getting around pretty good, have him on safe choice, moorman's moorglo, and msm and he's on prairie/alfalfa hay mixture. His feet seem really dry, and they are cracking. Is there a hoof moisturizer/topical that I can put on them? Is there any other supplement that I can be giving with the safe choice? He's in a sandy corral, as that's what are top soil basically is here in Nebraska.

I'm posting a picture, hopfully it works! His feet have been trimed since the picture was taken, and I've been using corona on them.

How did you locate this forum? a friend

Re: 2 yr old gelding that almost foundered and now has bad hooves

Hi Kris,

Yes, I see what you mean -- thanks for the picture. It could have been road founder, especially since he is ok now. However, instead of feeding MSM for any inflammation, I would recommend ReitSport HA-100. This is a comprehensive supplement that will boost the health of his hooves, and his muscles and joints. You can even cut back a little on the Moorglo when using this product, because it is made from flaxseed meal.

A topical dressing is fine, but is only really effective when applied at least twice each day. I prefer to work from the "inside, out."

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)