Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bag of bones

Hi Dr. Getty,
For 2yrs. I have been looking for something to get my horse fat or just looking normal.I feel like I've failed.He is 16hh,22yrs.old,q/arab,teeth are excellent,he is wormed every 2mos.,eats everything in sight,has arthitis.He looks like skin on top of bones,no muscle mass at all except on his hind quarters.This horse is full of energy and wants to go places,but we don't want to ride him.
I have tried EPSM diets on him for months,other diets for more months,now I have started him on rice bran,oil,your acti-flex 4000 and senior feed plus alfalfa.I hope this will help.Can you tell me if I'm leaving something out please. I want to keep him,he is a loving horse and our friend.
thank you

Where are you from? arizona

How did you locate this forum? looking for new things and hope

Re: bag of bones

Hello Joy,

As horses age, it is very common for them to have trouble maintaining a healthy weight. Often times, it has to do with their teeth. Are his teeth healthy and floated at least once each year?

A good worming program, including a 5 day double dose of fenbendazole (Power Pac) is worth doing. Worm infestations can cause weight loss.

And, finally, and very important -- the health of the bacteria living in the hind gut has a significant impact on weight. You see, if these bacteria are not strong, your horse will not get the calories he needs from his feed.

So, I would strongly recommend giving him Ration Plus at a double dose for a few months until you see results. Then you can go down to a maintenance dose.

He likely could benefit from a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement unless you're feeding a large amount of equine senior. But, you mentioned an EPSM diet, which would be low in starch. Equine senior is starch based. So, a low starch feed would be safer.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thank you Dr.Getty,
So are you saying not to give him the acti-flex4000?
His teeth according to the Vet said they were beautiful,and his overall health was great.I just don't think all his ribs and hips showing are normal.but like you said he is getting old.Thanks again.

Where are you from? arizona

How did you locate this forum? looking for new things and hope

Hi Joy,

Sure -- continue with the ActiFlex 4000. But, in addition, give him Ration Plus to help him Ration Plus to help his digestive system work more efficiently, so he can gain weight.

Dr. Getty