Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
lazy cob

I have a 16hh 4yr old cob. He is loving and affectionate. Every time i ride him it is like getting on a different horse one day he will be forward going then another act as if he has been sadated and wont move. When i bought him as a 3 yr old he was really forward going and kept taking off as soon as i moved even just the adjusting of my possition. Every one suggested i tried him on oats so i started giving a handfull in his feed every night which started to increse to 4-5 lb every night with no affect he was on these for a good 4-5 month and still with no affect it just seemed to make him buck more while out on a hack. I have now ran out of ideas on what to do next if any 1 has any suggestions please let me know it would be much appreciated.

Where are you from? uk

How did you locate this forum? horseit.com

Re: lazy cob

Hi Racheal,

Well, feeding oats will cause him to feel sluggish. Ever have a big bowl of pasta? Feel like running afterward? You feel sleepy because carbohydrates stimulate the product of serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that acts as an antidepressant and also makes you feel sleepy.

The same thing happens with your horse. So, I would suggest changing his diet to one that is higher in fiber and lower in starch. Start with lots of grass hay, along with alfalfa, to boost the protein quality. And, for a meal, give him either a complete ration, such as Allen and Page Sugar Intolerance diet, or you can simply give him beet pulp or hay pellets. Also, make sure that he's getting the vitamins and minerals he needs either from the complete ration or by giving him a supplement.

He may also need salt -- so he should have access to a plain salt lick at all times, or add salt to his feed. This will increase his water consumption, which will be beneficial.

Hope these ideas help. Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Thanks for the advice but av broke my leg now so i am going to turn him away for the winter. I will try ur suggestions when i bring him back into work in the summer though. Thanks allot for the help much appreciated.

Where are you from? uk

How did you locate this forum? horseit.com

Hi Rachael,

So sorry to hear about your leg. Rest up and take care!

Dr. Getty