Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My horses keep losing weight...

Hi, we own Foundation Quarter Horses and all of the horses on our ranch are 1-4 year olds. So basically, we've got all youngin's. Now at the end of summer (September) all of our horses were healthy and at a good body weight. You couldn't see the ribs but you could feel them if you ran your hand along the sides of the ribcage. However, I've watched them shed the pounds off one by one and we've tried all different types of feed to get the weight back on, but nothing seems to make a difference. We have them all on a regular 90 day rotational deworming program and our vet has come out and tested their stools and hasn't found any digestive problems. Were running out of ideas and trying to figure out what will work. Right now our two horses in a very thin state now are our yearling (17 month old) stud colt, and 2 year old gelding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? ask.com

Re: My horses keep losing weight...

Hi Christy,

You may wish to consider giving your horses a 5 day treatment of fenbendazole wormer to kill encysted larvae. Panacur Power Pac is the product. This could be contributing to the problem.

And, in addition to this, give them Ration Plus. They are not likely getting the calories they need from the forage they're eating. Ration Plus will boost the health of the bacteria living in the hind gut, so that they can better digest their feed.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty