Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
S,T.P,

Hello
I was wondering , is STP something you can give all the time (daily) or is it something you give only when discomfort is present?
I have a horse with lameness issues, I have him on acti-flex 4000 and MSM, but he still has days when he limps.

Thanks!
Carol

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? from a friend

Re: S,T.P,

Hi Carol,

Stop the Pain is an herbal pain remedy and can be used for weeks at a time, however, I would not recommend it indefinitely.

You did not mention the cause of his lameness, however, there could be a dietary component that he is either low in or could benefit from. For example, if his pain is due to navicular issues or chronic laminitis, he would benefit from a concentrated supplement such as Laminex.

Hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi
He has high ringbone on his left front.

Thanks
Carol

Hi Carol,

Well, you're doing the right thing by giving him Actiflex, especially if it involves the joint (articular ringbone, as opposed to periarticular ringbone, which does not involve the joint).

Stop the Pain may be very helpful for him.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Re: S.T.P.

Hi
He actually has periarticular ringbone, but my understanding is that horses with either type of
ringbone have arthritis. He does switch sides, right now he is favoring his right front. Since I know nothing of his past, his owner/breeder passed away with cancer, she left no medical records for him. The person who bought him from her did so as a faver to a dying woman who needed to find him a home.I traded another horse for him. (He is a Doc Bar breed QH and us priceless in disposition) I am wondering if there is some chance he could have had laminitis or maybe even navicular at one time, he is 11,the only other info we found out about him is from someone who did train him at one time. Ihey said he had intermitant lameness issues as long as they could remember. His feet appear to be in perfect shape from looking at them, no ridging just real healthy looking. I have thought about treating him as if he has navicular, shoeing him and supplementing him as if he did. (I will have the farrier test his feet for soreness also) His lameness is very minor, but is there at a trot, goes away at a canter, and swithches sides maybe due to him favoring one foot and then the other. I only ride him for trails and I am taking some horsemanshup lessons on him. he does drop his left shoulder and limps at a trot, and when I cue him to lift it, he does not limp. No hard riding ar all.
Sorry for such a long post.I am hoping someday to solve this lameness issue.
Thanks
Carol

Hi Carol,

I understand your frustration about not knowing his medical history. But, the good news is, you can work toward keeping him healthy now.

It is useful to have him thoroughly examined by your farrier and vet to see if he has any tendencies that could cause lameness in the future. And, feeding him a highly nutritious diet would be very helpful in slowing down any progression of foot disorders.

If at some point you would like to visit, I'd be delighted to talk to you about his diet and how to best feed him.

All the best,

Dr. Getty