Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Anything missing?

I finally have my horses at home after many years of having them boarded out. I am scared to death that I am not feeding them correctly.

I have a 7 month old Arabian weanling who's sire is known to produce OCD. After reading this forum, I'd liket to change her diet to the following (she is currently getting Safe Choice, 4#/day plus grass and alfalfa). Is this the best diet for her? She is not currently being worked and is out on what is left of the pasture 24/7.

- free choice round bale grass hay
- small flake alfalfa hay twice daily
- beet pulp (how much?)
- flax seed meal (how much?)

She is also on a daily dewormer. Does she need a vitamin supplement as well? Which do you recommend for weanlings?

Thank you!!

Where are you from? Carter Lake, Colorado

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Anything missing?

Ya know... I think I need to read some more. I'm already feeding SafeChoice. Perhaps I can stay on SafeChoice, free choice grass and some alfalfa. Does she still need a vitamin/mineral supplement? And does flax meal still benefit them or is it not necessary with SafeChoice?

I currently have a 12/12 mineralized salt block out for them. Should I toss that and get a plain iodized salt block instead?

Where are you from? Carter Lake, Colorado

How did you locate this forum? search engine

Re: Anything missing?

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on having your precious friends home with you! You're doing great!

Safe Choice is an excellent idea because you want to feed weanlings a diet that is low in starch in order to prevent osteopathic disorders.

If you are feeding the recommended amount of Safe Choice, you don't need to add a vitamin/mineral supplement. However, if you are feeding less than the recommended amount, you should consider adding a partial dose of something like Accel.

Safe Choice does not have flaxseed meal and I do recommend it for growing horses. Generally, 2 ounces (weight) twice each day is a good place to start.

I also recommend that you add some Pure Lysine to your weanling's diet since the Safe Choice does not have enough to meet growth needs.

How much beet pulp to feed will depend on how much Safe Choice you're feeding. I generally am not able to give those types of suggestions on this forum because it takes additional analysis. So, I'd be delighted to assist you further over the phone, if you would like to arrange that.

Keep up the fine work!

All the best,

Dr. Getty