Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
weaning and supplements

hi dr. getty ... i have been using the nutra flax on my PMU mare (slowing increasing weekly) with good success ... she is losing that distressed look she was getting after ... we are planning to wean her colt in a few weeks ... he will be six months old, 13 H and 550+ pounds ... he is a stunning boy ... percheron/QH mix ... where should i go with supplements for him and should i start him also on nutra flax? ... and if so, how much? ... he is currently on pasture 8 hours a day, tifton and strategy plus electrolytes ... i also give a treat of alfalfa ... thank you so much, lorraine

Where are you from? tampa bay

How did you locate this forum? friend - have used it before

Re: weaning and supplements

that was after giving 'birth' ... sorry about typo ... weaning was moved up to yesterday ... he was quite stressed ... will start him on foal grow and electrolytes this AM ... i am also going to dose him with some probiotics due to stress ... momma was actually quite calm ... i think being so young (3 1/2 years old) she was tiring of the nursing .... awaiting your great response, lorraine

Where are you from? tampa bay

How did you locate this forum? friend - have used it before

Hi Lorraine,

Sorry to hear that he is so stressed. Weaning, when done very slowly, an hour each day and building up, is much less stressful and helps prevent stress-related habits as they get older.

But, you didn't write to have me lecture you about that! Let's talk about nutrition! For the stress, I highly recommend giving him B-Plex along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement that is designed to cover all your bases. I highly recommend Accel and even Accel Lifetime would be a good idea during this time because his immune function is likely depressed.

Hope this is helpful!

Dr. Getty

thank you so much for your reply ... so stop the foal grow once i receive the accel? ... start nutra flax at a smaller dose like momma? ... unfortunately, we you board, the weaning process is not totally in your control ... we were much more worried about momma being like a freight train without brakes ... but she has done very well ... thank goodness for big and small miracles ... later, lorraine

Where are you from? tampa, florida

How did you locate this forum? sue

p.s. he was much less stressed by last night ... so there is a light at the end of the tunnel .....

Where are you from? tampa, florida

How did you locate this forum? sue

Hi Lorraine,

Yes, stop the other supplement once you start Accel. I believe the dosage will be 1/2 ounce. And you can give him nutra flax -- 1/2 scoop, twice each day.

I'm so pleased that he is doing better. I expect he'll be fine. If he should start any bad habits due to stress, remember the B Plex.

All the best,

Dr. Getty