Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
weight gain for TB

Dr.Getty
Well I am very proud of my researching skills, I have finally found a feed that contains a prebiotic. I switched to this feed on a hunch after I found out that the other feed I was feeding was grain based, well once I switched to this feed it was a remarkable change in my TB's attitude and his energy level,he was a happy horse horse agin with some life in him,I didnt know what the ingedents were though.Well I got a product decription and it said that it's main ingedents were alfalfa and beet pulp along with a complete vit/min in it also and brewers yeast.Well this is all very wonderful news for me to hear and my horse is very happy to see that I'm listening to him finally(the most important thing that i wasnt doing)
Well I had to share my exciting news with you(I probley sound very strange for getting excited about finding this feed for him) I also got the flax seed you recommended but it is called Montana Linseed meal and it is very powdery, is this really flax meal? Today I added a little water and a little canola oil to the flax because he was trying to pick the senior feed out of it,was this ok to do and will he start to like the flax after a while?
Well I will keep you updated on his weight hopefully he will start to show some weight gain with this feeding program.

Thank you so much for all your excellent advice

Jenni

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Re: weight gain for TB

Hi Jenni,

It doesn't surprise me that you're excited about a new horse feed! I get that way all the time!! I am really very pleased with your choice! Great job!

About the linseed meal -- check the label for fat content. Some linseed meal has been defatted (fat removed), so if that's the case, you'll need to add more oil than you're currently doing (adding some oil like you're doing to help it mix better is fine).

Keep up the great work!

Dr. Getty

Hi,
I have the analasis for the linseed meal
Crude protien not less than 34%
Crude fat not less than 4.5%
Crude fibre not more than 10%
Ash not more than 7%
Moisture not more than 11%

I'm not sure if this sounds good,I'm really hopeing it does but if it doesn't then nothing ventured nothing gained right.

I'am so glad you get excited about finding new feeds also,so at least I'm not the only one.
I was just wondering how long does it usually take to see any weight gain?

Also a friend of mine has a horse that is lame, she said that when she is on flat ground she is'nt lame but when she has to walk up a small hill in the field then her knee gets swollen and then she is lame.
Does this sound like arthritis to you.

Thank you for all your excellent advice
I think I can speak for everybody who writes to this forum by saying this is an excellent site and you provided pricless advice

Jenni

Hi again just forgot to ask you on my bag of linseed it says the % but that is all no guidelines on feeding or anything else.The %, what would that be of (the entire bag, per kg, per #) just wondering if you might know, I guess they must think you should know how to feed it and how much of it to feed if you are buying it, seems strange to me though.

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

First, let me thank you so much for your kind words! I am delighted to offer this service. I know how important horses are to we "horse people" -- they are special beyond words.

Well, about your linseed meal -- it looks as though it is defatted. The fat percentage is too low for it to be full fatted linseed (flaxseed) meal. You know, you might go to a shop that sells whole flaxseeds (any thing like that in your area?) and you get a coffee grinder and grind your own! You'll have to do it in small batches and refrigerate it. Feed approximately 200 grams each day, divided between meals.

It will take a month or so for you to notice a weight change. It's best to weigh him (using a weight tape) to get a baseline so you can better assess how much weight he is gaining.

About your friend's horse -- it does sound like arthritis. A good joint supplement would likely help.

So, keep me posted on your progress!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr.Getty

I was wondering about the linseed meal, is it still good to feed this, are there any benefits of feeding defatted flax? I'am wondering this because I paid $30 for that bag and I would like to use it if I can.
Also I was thinking about getting him on some alfalfa pellets, the analysis for them looks really good and they are a very good price here only $6 for 50lb,
Analysis is
Dehyrated alfafa pellets
Protein 17%
Total Digestable Nutrients 60.60%
Crude Fibre 24%

Suncured alfalfa pellets
P. 15%
TDN 56%
CF 25%

which do you think is the better one? to me it looks like the dehyrated pellets but I'm not completely sure.

Thank you for looking at this and for always replying so quickly.
Jenn

Hi Jenn,

Sure, you can feed the defatted linseed meal -- it is an excellent source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

I would go with the suncured pellets because it is a little lower in protein and you'll be feeding the linseed meal. Plus, sun cured is likely to preserve more of the vitamins that dehydration will. But, basically, the products are really very similar.

Keep up the great work!

Dr. Getty