Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
over weight horses

Not sure where to start except that I have a few horses that are getting very fat and I am worried about getting the weight off. I have been buying my hay from the same farmer for the last four years. It's top quailty Alphalfa. Now I do mix it between cuts. The first cut having less alphalfa in it and the second being almost pure alphalfa.( it is very green smells great and pretty much dust free ) I have tried other suppliers in the past and found that most of the others were dusty, had mold and generally almost brown in colour.

I haven't been able to do any riding in the past two years, another major problem. One we have had a ton of rain so everything here is like a swamp. The mud is usually about 7-9 inches deep. And my health has not been the greatest either. So with only being able to let them out during the day and stabling at night, they have gotten fat. I mean fat, behind the front leg at the top it hangs. Now, breathing energy wise they are great. they still rear up and hop around when getting out But after 5 minutes they sort of just hang out and just eat. The paddocks they are in are dirt paddocks, no grass. So I have to put out hay for them.

Okay feeding program I have them on. They get 2 flakes 4 times a day but when outside I throw 1 2/3 bale for the day. for about an eight to ten hour day. with colder weather they are outside anywhere from 5-8 hours a day depending on the temperature. When they come in ( around five now as it gets dark then) I usually give one flake, and then two for the last feeding at night ( between 10-11 pm. ) Also as the weather gets colder they recieve warm water only and a small handful of oats when coming in for the night and this is not always. Once to three times a week two apples and a few cut up carrots with the oats.

I have four horses here. They go through about 35 - 40 bales in two weeks. Can I cut back on the hay? Say one flake per feeding? It doesn't seem right to me and I think it would cause a problem for them. Oh I should tell you also that the horses I have are Peruvian Pasos. They are pretty much raised on alphalfa as a rule. This is what they are managed on in Peru. They are 14 and a half hands, usually weight is about 900 - 1000 lbs, mine being probably heavier.

Now again keep in mind, with the onset of winter I have no way of exercising them properly till late spring, early summer. I really hate this because I use to ride every day before I had health issues. I have no one else to do this for me, (riding) so I am really in a bind here. How can I get the weight of safely and slow enough not to mess up with their well being? Sorry this is so long but I wanted to make sure I left nothing out. It might be a bit jumbled but I typed this out as things came to me that I thought you might need to know. They are all in good health except for the weight factor.

Any help would be great!
Thank you.

Where are you from? Canada

How did you locate this forum? google search

Re: over weight horses

Hi Henrica,

Thank you for writing. The first change I would make is to reduce their alfalfa intake and replace it with a grass hay. Some alfalfa is fine, but it should be kept to a minimum since it is very high in calories compared to grass hay.

Second, it would be wise to stop feeding oats, carrots, and apples, since these are high in starch (oats), and sugar. Overweight horses are insulin resistant, meaning that they tend to store more fat when fed starch or sugar.

I highly recommend Quiessence -- this is a magnesium supplement that is very effective for overweight horses. I don't know if you can get it in Canada, but if not, I can let you know what it would cost to ship.

Peruvian Pasos! How beautiful. I know you'll look forward to exercising them -- that, of course, will make a big difference.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Dr Getty,

Thank you for your quick response. I will start in with gradually changing the hay over with the next load which I'll buy early so I can introduce it slowly. The oats and treats will stop till I am able to begin riding again which I'll have to work them slowly back into a routine as well.

Quiessence, is that a powder or pellet? Can they take it as is or does it have to be mixed with anything? I am going out in the next day or two and will inquire about it. If I am unable to get it here then yes it would be great if you could give me the price and shipping costs. As well as how long it might take to get here. And maybe you could explain to me exactly what it's purpose is? Maybe I could get you to email me with that information?

Should have also said they have free choice mineral and salt lick at all times. And that also my vet told me last year that a warm mash is always good for them. Twice a week but I heard that bran isn't always good unless you're going to be feeding it everyday.

Here is an insert from Horse feeding Myths and misconceptions. Maybe you could read it and tell me if it has any actual credit to their findings.

- site address - http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/hrs3243#Always

( insert as follows )

Those of you who feed a bran mash once a week may be off the hook for causing mineral imbalances, but you may instead be upsetting the microorganisms in the digestive tract. Most horsemen heed the warning that any changes to the diet should be made gradually to avoid colic. Yet these same horsemen don't see a problem with providing a bran mash once a week. Despite the good intentions, a weekly bran mash is a dramatic feed change and will upset the delicate balance of microorganisms that aid in digestion of the normal hay and grain. Killing the good bacteria in the gut usually results in diarrhea, which could be another reason why horsemen over the years believed wheat bran acted as a laxative.

I would like to think that through all this research there should be some creitable facts here but one can never really say for sure. I'd like your opinion on some of these well stated Myths.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

How did you locate this forum? google search

Hi Henrica,

Excellent plan with changing their hay. And, feeding a bran mash once in a while is not a good idea at all! Consistency is critical with maintaining the proper bacterial flora in the hind gut, so feeding something new once or twice a week is asking for a case of colic. Also bran is high in phosphorus and can cause an imbalance with calcium. Of course, since you are feeding alfalfa, this is not a concern because alfalfa is very high in calcium.

About the Quiessence -- it
is a concentrated magnesium supplement (pellet that is very tasty to horses) that improves the insulin response. Please take a look at this link on my website for more information about it: http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/products/quiessence.htm

Shipping may be very high -- I believe it would be close to $20 to ship a 5 lb bag, so I hope you are able to find it locally. I may be able to have a larger size shipped from the manufacturer which would be more cost effective.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Again thank you so much for your help. I will get back to you about the Quiessence and whether or not it's available here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not sure the luck will run with me. :) If I find something close I'll list it for you to see and you can let me know if it is any good. I really do doubt that I'll find anything close to what I need though just for the fact that it probably is an American brand name. Most places here tend to stick to certain suppliers, and those suppliers usually have restrictions on ordering from other companies which is a big pain.

In any case be intouch with you soon

Thank you

Henrica :)

Silly me..... A Happy Thanksgiving to you and your famly. Say a question, are we allowed to post a pic or two of our horses up here anywhere? I'd love to show them to you. Just a thought.

Hi Henrica,

You may be able to find a similar product in your area. Yes, please let me know and I'll look it over for you.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I would love to see your photos. Please send them to my email -- DrGetty@gettyequinenutrition.biz or you can post a link.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

Well after looking all over I have not been able to find anything close to what you have there. I did find a product from Purina called Equi-min. I am not sure you have it there and I forgot to get the list of ingredients off the label. Soooooo I have to go back and read it again and list it here for you or you might actually carry it there? I know there are a few different brands named the same and one is listed there in the states but I am not sure that it has the same contents as the one up here. Anyway will try to get that as soon as possible sorry for the delay. Oh and one other thing if it isn't what you think is useful for the mare I own then I'll have to contact you on making arrangements to order from you...payment and such.

Thanks again

Henrica

oh just one more thing here are a few links to some pic's of the horses. First one is of Misty and Bella, second is Beau ( Blue roan )a gelding at almost two years of age. the following is him with his mom ( a lilac roan ) Misty ( strawberry roan ) is 9 and Bella is 12. The third pic is when Marcos, a friend and horse trainer from Peru came down to go for a ride with me. He rode my horse and I am actually on my sisters horse. The two horses are half sisters. I owned the mom and we bred her to different sires. I kept the roam filly as she was almost a carbon copy of her mom which was laid to rest at the age of 18. A pic of her mom is last on the links

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/996688/DONE1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/996688/DONE9.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/996688/1.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/996688/MVC-001S.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/996688/FRESAwithDATE.jpg

thanks again and hope to hear from you soon

Henrica

Hi Henrica,

So sorry, but I cannot find that particular feed's ingredients. So, feel free to send it to me. Send me the list of the ingredients as well as the nutrient content.

Your horses are gorgeous! Fresa was so young when she died. Thanks very much for sending them.

Dr. Getty