Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ir

dr. getty , you have helped me in the past, thanks. i had an underwt. gelding (gibbs) who is now gaining wt. 1 quest. about him though. i feed 3 meals of senior platform feed, 24/7 rd bale and a flake or 2 a alfalfa to him/day. he looks happier,healthier but has a lot of gas. i guess it's from the concentrated senior feed. is this a concern? i've heard of gas colic. i also have him on mvp 4 in 1 supplement( it just seemed like the most cost effective and simplest additive for us). the other quest. is regarding my 13 y.o. 14.3 gelding. i had him on platform pleasure formula plus 24/7 rd bale but he gained enormous wt...i think he is I.R. he has a vorocious appetite, freq. urination and excessive thirst. i couldn't even trail ride bc he was determined to get to the grass , it made it a battle. so, i took him off all the pleasure formula, stopped giving any treats (carrots,cookies etc). he is also on daily dose of "mega-mag" by mvp. i stopped 24/7 rd bale but try to feed several times per day but doesn't get anything all night long. i think i will try the quiessence you have rec. to others on your forum. should i change anything else. he is losing weight but it almost looks like muscle wasting...ie losing around his flanks but chest , belly are still very huge. i do ride and exercise him moderately. plus is daily strongid 2x a problem? should i add alfalfa pellets? thanks for any advice you give me...i will be ordering the supplements from you , if you think the quiessence is appropriate for "Pistol".

Where are you from? texas

How did you locate this forum? luck, looking for equine nutrition answers

Re: ir

Hi Dianne,

Thanks for writing. For your "gassy" one I would strongly recommend Ration Plus. This will help boost the health of the bacterial flora, resulting in less gas formation.

About the heavy one, Quiessence is a good idea. But, please do not leave him all night without anything to nibble on. Horses need hay and/or forage 24/7 otherwise you're asking for an ulcer. And, ironically, it contributes to more fat storage due to the increase cortisol release! So, provide some grass hay during the night -- there should be some left over in the morning -- that's how you know you've fed enough.

Your situation may require more than I can offer you on this forum, so if you would like to set up phone visit, I think it would be beneficial. Or, since you're in Texas, if you're in the DFW area, you may be close enough by for me to visit in person!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

guess i could order a rd bale for him so he can eat as desired. i will try both the ration plus and the quiessence. thanks for the info. i live just north of san antonio. do you think the sugar in the daily strongid2x should be eliminated and just deworm on a bimonthly schedule? thanks again for all your help. df

Hi Dianne,

I don't believe the sugar in the daily wormer is a problem and a daily wormer, along with a twice per year paste worming is an excellent way to go.

With the Ration Plus, provide a double dose for a month or so, and then go down to a maintenance dose.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

hanks, i just got the rd bale today and i am ordering the products today. thanks for your help. df

Hi Dianne,

Thank you -- your products are on their way!

Keep me posted on how things are going,

Dr. Getty

F/up, i wanted to let you know that the advice you gave me re: my Pistol who was showing all the signs of I.R. has responded so well to the changes you rec. i got the 24/7 rd bale, stopped all sugar ( had to even let neighbors know bc they were giving him treats). added Quiessence to diet and now Pistols vorocious appetite has greatly diminished. he's not so pushy,also excessive thirst and freq. urination has lessened. ( i would say about to half). plus he did actually lose wt even with the rd bale. i feed a little alfalfa pellets 2 times per day with vits plus just a little alfalfa hay at lunch. now i give him a handful of alfalfa pellets as a treat. thank you. also re: gassy Gibbs. the ration plus didn't seem to make too much of a difference but i will continue to observe for awhile . thanks again, df

Where are you from? tx

Hi Dianne,

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am so pleased to hear about your good results!

About the gas situation and Ration Plus... It often takes a double, or even a triple, dose to see results. So, there is no harm in increasing the amount you're offering. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

this is so ironic, but the day after i responded that i wasn't sure the ration plus was helping or not, i saw Gibbs out playing with the other horses for the first time since i have owned him..(approx. 8 months). he also doesn't have the expression on his face that he feels bad anymore. so i do believe it has helped him , along with the other changes you rec. he has gained approx. 170 #s and is so sweet. nothing else has really changed except his nutrition , i am a believer now. i really wanted to make my own observations bc the supplements do add up monthly but to see my horse feeling well and happy has been worth it , thank dianne

Where are you from? tx

Hi Dianne,

How 'bout that?! It often takes a while for the body to respond to treatment, so your patience has paid off.

Thanks for the smile!

Dr. Getty