Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blue Seal products

Hi, I have a question about feeding this brand of grain.
I use Trotter as a base for all horses

Hay Stretcher pellets instead of Beet Pulp to maintaine weight and add more fiber

Vintage Senior to all over 18

Omegatin for weight maintenence in the larger horses that are working.

Can you tell me if this is a poor feed? I was in a discussion about soaking manure and spinning off the fiber to find a sand like substance at the bottom of the jar comming from Blue Seal feeds. Being told that there is too much calcium Carbonate and that horses can not digest this and it causes colic. I have been using this feed for 16 years and have never had a problem with it. What do you think? The hay stretche pellets were considered the worst one of all. the ingredients is as follows
protein 11.5
fat 2.0
fiber 20.0
calcium 0.80% max 1.30
phosphorus min 0.45
what the heck does this mean?

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? typed in equine nutrition forums

Re: Blue Seal products

Hi Sass,

If your horses are allowed to graze, there could be some residue in their manure due to them eating small amounts of dirt or sand.

I have not heard of any problem with Blue Seal feeds, per se, except that I am not an advocate of feeding high starch diets and Blue Seal is made from mostly grain (starch).

I do not know what is in the hay replacer, so if you have the ingredients list (not the nutritional analysis), that would be helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

what does the starch do that is not good? there is something out in the purina feeds called Ultrium (i think) That sounds like a real nice feed with the beet pulp and flax seed already in it but I have 19 horses to feed and run a lesson and boarding barn. The feed was like 14.00 a bag and that is a little expensive for me.
The hay stretcher pellets have Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Oat Mill By-product, Cane Molasses, Calcium Carbonate....

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? typed in equine nutrition forums

Hi Sass,

Starch, in high quantities, can lead to laminitis. In lessor quantities, can be a problem for horses than exhibit mood swings from an insulin response. It can also be harmful for overweight horses because they are generally insulin resistant and starch causes them to store more fat.

About your hay replacer -- it looks good -- I do not see a problem with it. Purina Ultium is an excellent feed, but you're right - it is pricey. Nutrena puts out a product called Safe Choice which is also quite good and less expensive.

Dr. Getty