Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horse with sore back

Hi,

My horse seems to have a sore back and I am not sure why. He normaly rides fine with a saddle, but when I try to get on him bare back he gets tense and tries to throw me. This happens only in the first few seconds. As soon as I am totally on he is fine. When I touch sertain spots on his back he flinches a little bit. What do you think?

Skye

Where are you from? Possum Kingdom

Re: Horse with sore back

Hi Skye,

This is a question for your veterinarian. Once you've ruled out any medical problem, your horse may benefit from a joint supplement if the problem is in his joints or spine.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Re: Horse with sore back

Dr, Getty-

I think it was just the saddle. I used a different saddle with a wider tree. He was fine that day it didn't seem to bother him at all. We think that he may have some kind of trait of a gaited horse. If there is any more sorness I will contact my vet.
Thank you!!!!
SkYe

Where are you from? Tx

How did you locate this forum? Ask jeeves