Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Organic Feed/weight gain

Help!! My 4 yr old mostly TB is in training and I am having trouble keeping weight on him. He was pastured out on 10 acres until Nov when he went to the trainer. I have been using a product line called DYnamite and even tho I have upped his grain to 2 lbs a day (from 2 cups) and free choice hay and a vitamin/mineral, he is thin. I never blanketed him before and now he needs a blankie! The PGR(pelleted grain ration) is 12% protein and 3.5% fat. My distributor @ Dynamite suggests black oiled sunflower seed or one of their products to add fat. I would like to stay organic but this continual change with adding and deleting supplements is getting too much and if I may add costly. I need to add, I believe some more fat to his diet,or change his diet to something that is more manageable for me. He was previously on Purina adult but there are so many conflicting opinions about this whole nutrition that it can make one bonkers. Reading this forum I see that using oil is not frowned upon nor is using ricebran or alfalfa pellets etc. It was not until I switched to Dynamite that I heard all the 'bad' things that the others food does to you. I really need to simplify and am looking for documentation/science as well as guidance. Thanks for the help!!

Where are you from? Buffalo, New York

How did you locate this forum? searching for nutrition information

Re: Organic Feed/weight gain

Hello Aline,

The best way to put on weight is to add more fat to the diet. Adding more grain will not produce weight gain and can increase his risk for laminitis. Some safe ways to add fat would be by feeding stabilized rice bran or flaxseed meal. You can also add some rice bran oil, flaxseed oil, or even canola oil to his diet.

I understand your need to simplify things. That is my goal when working with clients during consultations. If you feel you would benefit from a phone consultation, please let me know. I'd be delighted to assist you with an overall plan that is manageable and that makes sense.

All the best,

Dr. Getty