Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding and watering

this may sound like a realy simple for u to answer but i am currently sudding for my bhs level two and was wondering if u have any ideas on how i could structor the answer to this quesion - what is the normal feeding and drinking behavior of horses? i would be very greatfull for some help

Where are you from? doncaster

How did you locate this forum? ask jeves

Re: feeding and watering

Hi Loz,

I'm not really sure if I'm answering your question, but I'll give it a try...

On watering ... Horses normally drink at least 6 to 8 gallons of water each day. That translates into between 23 and 30 liters of water each day. Exercise and/or excessive sweating will increase the requirement.

On feeding ... Horses' stomachs are designed to have food in them all of the time. Horses are "trickle feeders" meaning, they need to nibble on roughage at all times to provide saliva (to neutralize stomach acid). Horses that go for many hours without being fed generally develop ulcers.

Grain, if fed, should be fed in moderation. Most horses do not need grain. The only time I recommend feed oats, barley, corn, and the like is when a horse is exercised heavily and needs the extra calories.

Hope this is helpful!

Dr. Getty

Re: feeding and watering

thank you very much that has helped me alot

Where are you from? doncaster

How did you locate this forum? ask jeves